Simple Vegetable Pulao
This simple Vegetable Pulao is a main item in our regular menu, and goes well with almost all gravies. It is quite simple to prepare and a kids friendly recipe. Only Whole spices are used and no other hot spices. Simple Vegetable Pulao is a great combination with Kadai Chicken, Punjabi Chicken Curry, Butter chicken, Fish with Cabbage, Prawns Curry, Mutton curry, Paneer gravies, Rajma Masala, Veg. curry,etc. Almost everything goes with this simple Vegetable Pulao. Since there are only mild spices, it will not overpower the main dish and together with a simple raita this will make a fantastic meal. It is a great option for Kid’s lunch Box with any simple gravy. It is a great way to make them eat vegetables as it is not spicy. You may also like my Corn Pulao, which is another great lunch option for kids. After trying it out, I am sure, everyone is going to add this Simple Vegetable Pulao to your weekly menu.
Gently wash and soak Rice in water for half hour to one hour. Drain. In a wide nonstick pan, pour 1 tbsp oil + ghee, when hot add the whole masalas and then add drained rice and fry. Stir with Spatula. When the rice is fried enough (not brown), pour double measure of boiling water to it. Add enough salt and squeeze juice of half a lime (take care not to put seeds). Cover and cook for few minutes till the rice is fully cooked and pan is dry. Let it cool half covered for some time. Cut the beans, carrots, onions. In a pan heat the remaining oil, add beans and a pinch of salt, sauté, add carrots, cooked peas and sauté, add onions and sauté one after the other. Once done, add this to the rice, and mix gently. Your Pulao is ready.
- The rice and vegetables should not mixed when it is hot. The rice will break and stick.
- After the rice is cooked leave it for cooling for 20 mts. partially covered.
- Always fry rice in nonstick pan. The rice won’t break and the grain retains its shape.
- Fry the rice for 5 or more minutes stirring in between.
- Use boiling water to cook the rice.
- Lime juice prevents it from sticking together.
- The vegetables should be thinly sliced and stir fried in high flame, adding one after the other in order.
- This simple and easy pulao goes well with thick gravy dishes like Kadai Chicken, Fish with cabbage, Punjabi Chicken, Ginger chicken, Butter Chicken, Butter Paneer, etc.
So there, this Simple Vegetable pulao is going to be favourite lunch option for your kids. Happy cooking!! Do let me know if you like it. God Bless!!