Chana Aloo Masala/ Chickpeas and Potato curry
Chana Aloo Masala is an amazing combo of Chickpeas and Potato, cooked in a spicy Onion tomato gravy. Enjoyed with pooris or roti, Chana Aloo Masala is high in protein and loaded with nutrients. White Chickpeas are also known as Garbanzo beans and is very popular in the Indian Subcontinent. They are full of good quality Plant based proteins. Chole Bhature, Chole puri, Paneer Chole tikki, Falafel, Hummus, Chickpea salad are all very popular chickpea dishes.
You will enjoy this Aloo chole/ Chana Aloo Masala curry, a wonderful vegetarian dish with the goodness of Chole and Aloo. Serve it with Pooris or Rotis for breakfast during weekends. You can prepare this with Black Chick peas as well with slight changes. Check out the recipe for Black chickpeas and Potato Masala.
Aloo Chana Masala, Chole, Kerala Kadala Curry are other tasty Chickpea curries in my recipe collection. For potato lovers, there are Honey Chilli Potato, Aloo Paratha, Aloo Shimla Mirch, Poori Bhaji, Egg and Potato curry, Aloo Gobi, Nadan chicken curry with potatoes, Potato stew, Chicken roast with Potatoes, Mutton stew etc. Also check my Paneer recipes, another celebrated vegetarian ingredient in Indian Cuisine.
Health Benefits of White Chickpeas:
Chickpeas help boost bone health, as they are rich in essential vitamins and minerals including calcium, magnesium, phosphorus as well as Vitamin K. Moreover, it is loaded with fiber; a high fiber diet helps to lower risks by reducing high blood sugar levels. It is quite filling as well; curbs hunger and aids in weight loss. They also contain Vitamin B9 or folate, which is good for proper brain and muscle development.
Ingredients for Chana Aloo Masala:
: 2 large
White Chickpeas/ Garbanzo beans
: 1 cup
: 2 medium
: 2 nos.
: 10 cloves
: 1 ½ tsp
: 2 medium
: 1 leaf
: ½ tsp
: 2 tsp
Kashmiri Chilli Powder
: 2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder
: ¾ tsp
Jeera Powder/ Cumin Powder
: ½ tsp
: 1 tsp
: to garnish
Oil – (any vegetable oil)
: 2 tbsp
: 1 tsp
Step by step recipe for Chana Aloo Masala:
- Soak the Chickpeas overnight or up to 8 hours.
- Wash and Pressure cook with enough water and cubed Potatoes till soft. (I cooked on low flame till 4 whistles).
- Lightly mash few potato cubes. This is to thicken the gravy. Keep aside.
- Slice Onions and garlic and chop the ginger.
- Slit green chilies.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Put the Bay leaf, followed by curry leaves, green chilli, ginger and garlic.
- Sauté for a minute.
- Add the sliced onions and fry with little salt. Fry till transparent.
- Next, add the cubed tomatoes and fry till slightly mashed.
- Now, add Coriander Powder, Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Garam Masala and Cumin Powder. Fry for some more time.
- Add a little water to avoid burning.
- Then add Kasoori Methi and mix well.
- Mix in the cooked Potato and chickpeas.Combine well and bring to a boil.
- Adjust salt, cover and cook for few minutes, to absorb flavours.
- For more flavours, add 1 tsp ghee and mix well. (optional).
- Switch off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot, garnished with chopped onions and lime. Enjoy Chana Aloo Masala with Pooris, Rotis or Appam.
- You can add more Chana or Potato in the recipe to suit your taste.
- Soak Chickpeas overnight or for 8 hours.
- Do not add salt while cooking chana, to ensure softness.
- Please adjust the spices according to your taste.
- Check how to prepare Garam Masala at home for best results.
If you like this simple dish of Aloo Chana Masala, please try and let me know through comments or share with your friends using the share buttons on the side. It would really motivate me. God Bless!!