Hummus / Classic Hummus recipe/ Easy Homemade Hummus
Hummus / Hummus bi-Tahini is a classic Mediterranean dip/ spread which is highly nutritious and super delicious. It is quite easy to prepare and has numerous health benefits. Perfectly creamy texture and delicious nutty flavours makes Hummus extremely appealing! Be it roasted veggies, grilled chicken, fresh or pickled carrot sticks, Pita Bread, hummus is the perfect dip for one and all.like Lebanese Toum.
Classic Arabic Hummus is prepared with Chickpeas, Tahina / Tahini paste (toasted sesame seeds), Garlic, Lemon, Salt and olive oil. There are many variants available in the market, but it is so easy to prepare at home and tastes better than store bought ones. Some people add cumin powder, but I don’t, as I feel it subdues the nutty flavours. I will be happy to eat it any time of the day with just fresh carrot sticks or just scoop out a spoonful for sneaky eats. You can prepare it well ahead and store in refrigerator- and it does not separate but stays fresh for almost a week.
Whenever I cook chickpeas for Chole poori or chana Bhature, I keep aside one cup of boiled chana for making Hummus. My love for Hummus started from my Sharjah days, where you get authentic Hummus with Tandoori chicken, Lebanese Pickles, Vibrant Mediterranean salad, Toum, Falafel, kebabs etc. Getting Tahina/ Tahini in India was difficult initially, but now it is available in most supermarkets. Tahini is a paste made from toasted sesame seeds; a staple in Mediterranean cuisine- it is super rich in fiber, proteins, vitamins and minerals. If you don’t have Tahini, you need to toast white sesame seeds and grind it with the rest of the ingredients.Chickpeas are also loaded with nutrients, check my Aloo chana curry to know more about the health benefits of Chickpeas.
You can serve Hummus with Pita bread, Roast chicken or use it as a spread in sandwiches, Chicken wraps etc. or like Garlic Mayo, this can be served as a dip with Fish Fingers, Calamari Fritters, Kebabs, Crispy finger snacks, Shawarma plate, Cutlets – it goes well with almost anything! Hope everyone will like this Classic Middle East recipe for Hummus. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Hummus:
- Hummus is a great protein option for Vegans as it is an excellent source of plant-based protein, B-vitamins, Iron, folate and phosphorous.
- It is high in dietary fiber which feeds the healthy gut bacteria and improve your digestive health.
- The ingredients like chickpeas, olive oil, Tahini all have great Anti-inflammatory properties.
- For more detailed notes check : https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/hummus-healthy
- This delicious dip is good for heart health as it contains olive oil and chickpeas which helps to reduce the risk due to bad cholesterol (LDL).
- Apart from all this, it is vegan, gluten free and keto friendly. What more do you need?
- Also, with all its fiber and protein, it aids in weight loss and helps to maintain a lower BMI. So, you can snack on it guilt free!! Yay!!
Ingredients for Hummus:
: 1 cup
: 2 -3 cloves
: ¼ cup + 1 tsp
: 1 no.
: to taste (½ tsp)
: 2 – 3 tbsp
Paprika powder/ Chilli Powder
: for garnishing.
Parsley leaves/ Coriander leaves
: (optional for garnish)
Chickpeas should be soaked for 8 hours or overnight. Add enough water (to cover) and pressure cook the chickpeas till soft (after the first whistle, reduce heat and cook for 3 – 4 whistles). The more the chickpeas are cooked, the smoother the texture will be.
Strain the chickpeas with a sieve and reserve the liquid. Allow to cool completely. Now, grind the chickpeas, with little of the reserved water, garlic, tahini paste, lemon juice and salt. Add more water as required to get a thick consistency and creamy texture.
Transfer to a bowl and make swirls on top with the flat end of a spoon and drizzle olive oil lavishly. Garnish with paprika or chilly powder, parsley or coriander leaves.
- Soak Chickpeas (white) in water before cooking. Cook in pressure cooker without salt.
- You can use raw garlic or slightly roast the garlic in olive oil for a toasted taste.
- I have not added cumin in this recipe, if you would like to try, add a pinch of cumin powder while grinding.
- Always use good branded virgin Olive oil.
- Tahina/ Tahini is available in most Indian supermarkets. However, you can make Tahini at home with toasted White Sesame seeds- grind with little olive oil and pinch of salt to make Tahini paste.
- Juice of one full lemon is used for this recipe. Please adjust the measure according to your taste.
- It can be stored in refrigerator, in an airtight container for a week.
Try this fabulous Homemade Hummus and let me know how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions mean a lot to me and would encourage me to create more wonderful recipes for you. God Bless!!