Black Chickpeas and Potato curry/ Aloo Chana Masala
Black Chickpeas and Potato Masala is an enticing, classic Indian curry with amazing flavours. The humble yet perfect harmony of Aloo and chana complemented by warm Indian curry spices is an absolute winner. Furthermore, the dynamic combo of Black Chickpeas and Potato is extremely nutritious with your required daily dose of protein and carbs.
Potatoes are classified as comfort food- be it mashed, fried, roasted or curried; it is always in demand! If you are a potato lover, check my recipes for Aloo Paratha, Aloo Gobi, Aloo Shimla Mirch, Honey Chilli Potato, Poori Bhaji, Egg and Potato curry, Nadan chicken curry with potatoes, Potato stew, Cheesy Potato croquettes, Roasted Chicken and potatoes, Thirummi chicken roast with Potatoes, Duck Pepper roast with fried Potatoes, Veal stew, Mutton stew, variety of cutlets etc.
Black chickpeas and Potato curry/ Aloo Chana/ Chole Aloo is totally vegan and perfect for a weekday menu. Also, great for lunch box ideas, it provides high energy for school going kids. You can also do it with white chickpeas, with slight changes. check my Aloo chana masala recipe. Black Chana and aloo are cooked in a delightfully spicy, onion and tomato-based gravy. It goes well with Pooris, rotis and even with soft Vellayappams, Appam or Idiyappam. A drier version can be served with plain rice and dal for a balanced meal. The ingredients are simple, but the flavours come together to raise the appeal of this soul satisfying curry.
Health Benefits of Black Chickpeas:
Kala Chana/ Black Chickpeas, also known by many names like Bengal gram, Kadala, Garbanzo beans etc. is rich in fiber and has low glycemic index. They contain a unique combination of antioxidants, anthocyanins and Phytonutrients which keeps your blood vessels healthy and prevent oxidative stress. The soluble fiber in Black Chana helps to reduce Cholesterol and lowers blood sugar levels. Moreover, high dietary fiber in Black Chickpeas is superior compared to other foods. It is quite filling, curbs hunger and aids in weight loss. Low in fat but rich in minerals and vitamins with considerable amounts of folate, Magnesium and Zinc, this can indeed be a healthy supplement to your diet. It is great for women and growing children as they have good iron content too.
If you like chickpeas, try Kerala style Kadala curry, Kabuli Chana curry, Hummus etc. For now, try this wonderful, nutritious Aloo Kala chana Masala/ Black chickpeas and Potato Curry, a great choice for a simple weeknight meal. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Black Chickpeas and Potato Curry:
|Potatoes||: 2 large|
|Black Chickpeas||: 1 cup|
|Tomatoes||: 2 medium|
|Jeera/ Cumin (whole)||: ½ tsp|
|Onion||: 2 medium|
|Green Chilly||: 2 nos.|
|Ginger Garlic paste||: 2 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||: 1 ½ tsp|
|Chilli Powder||: 1 ½ tsp – 2 tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||: ¾ tsp|
|Jeera Powder/ Cumin Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Turmeric powder||: ½ tsp|
|Hing / Asafoetida||: one pinch|
|Kasoori Methi||: 1 tsp|
|Coriander leaves||: to garnish (optional)|
|Oil – (any vegetable oil)||: 2 tbsp|
Step by step recipe for Black Chickpeas and Potato Curry:
- Soak the black chickpeas overnight or up to 8 hours. Pressure cook with enough water till soft. (I cooked on low flame till 4 whistles).
- Pressure cook the potatoes, peel and cut into small cubes.
- Dice the onions coarsely into small squares.
- Heat oil in a pan, crackle the whole cumin/ Jeera and add chopped onions, slit green chili and sauté.
- Next add Ginger Garlic paste and fry till onion is slightly brown.
- Now, add Coriander Powder, Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Garam Masala, Cumin Powder and Hing/ Asafoetida. Fry for some more time.
- Puree the tomatoes and add to the pan. Mix well and bring to a boil. Keep stirring till the raw smell goes and the flavours combine.
- Add 1 cup cooked chickpeas with water, salt and mix well.
- Then add Kasoori methi and cubed Potatoes. Mash little portion of potatoes if you want the gravy to be thick.
- Combine everything and adjust the salt. Cover and cook, stirring in between for few minutes. If required, add more water for gravy.
Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander leaves. Enjoy Black chickpeas and Potato curry with Rotis, Phulka, Naan, Vellayappam, Appam or Pooris.
- You can add more Chana/ Black Chicpeas or Potato in the recipe to suit your taste.
- Soak Black chickpeas overnight or for 8 hours.
- Please adjust the spices according to your taste.
- Check how to prepare Garam Masala at home for best results.
- Blanch the tomatoes in hot water and puree after peeling.
If you like this simple dish of Aloo Chana Masala, please try and let me know through comments or share with your friends using the share buttons on the side. It would really motivate me. God Bless!!
Sharing is Caring!
Share this recipe with your friends!