Egg Curry / Kerala Egg Curry with Potatoes / Mutta Curry
Egg Curry / Kerala Mutta Curry is a popular dish in Kerala and there are many versions of this protein rich food that is great for your diet. This Nadan Mutta Curry / Egg Mappas with urulakizhangu (potatoes) is a great breakfast side dish in Kerala. It is the best quick fix meal when you have guests and provides a healthy option to serve with Appam, Vellayappam, Idiyappam, Puttu, Poori, Paratha, Neer Dosa or Bread for breakfast. Now the latest addition is Aval Appam – Appam without coconut. This nadan Egg Curry or yellow mutta curry for Appam also goes well with rice, Jeera rice, Pulao, Naan and Rotis.
Potatoes and eggs are great combo and this dish is so special with the perfect blend of spices that is finished off with creamy coconut milk gravy. Potatoes are slow cooked in the Egg masala gravy to soak the flavours and for vegetarians, you can serve this as Kerala Potato curry sans egg. In Kerala, Mutta curry is quite popular and you will come across many traditional recipes like Egg Roast, Nadan Egg Curry, Kerala Egg Masala, Egg curry in tomato gravy etc. Egg Curry with Potatoes is a favourite side dish to have with Neer Dosa. Appam and Idiyappam in Kerala. It is also known as Egg Mappas curry. Do try my other Mappas recipes like Cauliflower Mappas, Karimeen Mappas, Kadachakka Mappas, Vendakka Mappas or Meat ball curry.
Kids love the soft potatoes and the creamy gravy, so for me, egg curry is another lunch box option, paired with Rotis or rice. Since it is quite nutritious, it gives them energy to sustain long school hours. You may also like Healthy Chicken and vegetable rolls, Chicken Kathi roll, Paneer pulao, Tomato Pulao, grilled sandwiches etc.: from my healthy lunch box collection. For Potato lovers try these combinations like Aloo chana Masala, Aloo Gobi, Aloo Shimla mirch Masala, Honey Chilli Potato etc.
Your entire family would love this wonderful Nadan Egg Curry / Kerala Mutta curry with Potatoes. Indian curries are very popular all over the world – the aroma and flavours of Chicken Curry, Beef curry, Chicken Liver Curry, Vegetable curry are extremely tempting. Adding Potatoes to curries are healthy and it pairs well with all kinds of protein. Check my other Potato combinations like Veal stew, Mutton stew, Kerala Vegetable stew, Potato stew and Nadan Chicken curry. Coming back to the recipe, this is a very simple, uncomplicated dish, rich in flavors and taste. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Potato Egg Curry:
|Eggs||: 4 nos.|
|Potato||: 2 nos. (medium)|
|Onion||: 2 nos.|
|Garlic||: 8 cloves|
|Ginger||: 1 inch piece|
|Green chili||: 4 nos.|
|Curry leaves||: 3 sprigs|
|Turmeric Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Coriander Powder||: 1 ½ tbsp|
|Kashmiri Chili Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Pepper Powder||: ¾ tsp|
|Perumjeerah powder/ fennel powder||: ½ tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||: ¾ tsp|
|Tomato||: 1 medium|
|Coconut milk||: 1 ½ cup (1 + ½)|
|Coconut oil||: as required|
|Mustard||: ¼ tsp|
Step by step Recipe for Egg Curry
- Boil the eggs and keep aside.
- Slice the onions and garlic.
- Slit green chilies and chop ginger.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, crackle mustards and add garlic and ginger.
- Then add slit green chilies and curry leaves.
- Add onions and sauté till limp.
- Now add Coriander Powder, Chili Powder (½ tsp), Pepper Powder, turmeric powder, Perumjeera and Garam Masala powder. Sauté for some time (add little water to fry well).
- Chop the tomatoes and add to the masala.
- Fry for some time, add salt, chopped potatoes and combine well.
- Reduce the flame, cover and cook the potatoes, stirring in between. No water should be added till the potatoes are slightly roasted and cooked.
- Next, add skimmed coconut milk and mix well. Adjust the salt.
- Let it boil, add the thick coconut milk and switch off the flame.
- Mix in the boiled eggs and serve hot with Appam or Idiyappam. Enjoy!
- Adjust the spices according to your spice level.
- Always use less oil. While adding Masala powder and spices, add little water to sauté.
- Green chilly should be medium spicy.
- Do not add water while roasting Potato. Stir in between to avoid getting burnt. The Potato will soak the flavors of the Masala this way.
- Check the link: How to make Garam Masala.
- While boiling eggs, add little salt and vinegar to the water to avoid leaking of eggs.
- Coconut oil should be used for best results.
Please try this Egg Curry with Potatoes recipe, and don’t forget to let me know if you like it through comments. Please share with your friends using the buttons on the side- that would really encourage me. God Bless!!