Okra/ Lady’s Finger/ Vendakka Mappas
Okra/ Lady’s Finger/ Vendakka Mappas)
Vendakka Mappas; the spicy Okra Masala curry is my special dish for Lunch today. Once the lent season starts, all the vegetarian specials pop up automatically in most of the Christian homes, the long forgotten recipes will surface and it is vegetarian fiesta time!! It is really a hard time planning the menu, and trying to bring that extra zing to the meals to appease the adults and kids alike. I just love everything about the lent, and it is a time to plan the menu with the right combinations so you don’t detest the food and spoil the Great Spirit of the Lent Season but happily devour and enjoy all types of food. So, I take extra care while planning the menu.
This Vendakka Mappas has been a favorite lent dish from my childhood. Chana Masala, Brinjal Masala, Bhindi Masala, Aloo Gobi, Kadala Curry, Vegetable stew, Rajma curry, Dal fry; the menu needs to be tempting and fresh each day to keep up the interests. Stir fried Vendakka in rich spicy coconut milk gravy is definitely a wonderful treat. This is also one of the favorite dishes of my Achachi (my Father-in-law). Vendakka Mappas is a popular veg. dish in Kerala and while some people use Vinegar, some use Tomato for tanginess. It goes well with rice as well as roti. The stir fried Okra in rich spicy coconut gravy is extremely delicious and flavorsome. Do try this yummy Vendakka Mappas.
Cuisine : Kerala Cuisine
Time: 20 minutes
|Vendakka/ Okra/ Lady’s finger||: 250 gms|
|Onion||: 2 nos.|
|Green Chili||: 1 no.|
|Ginger||: Small Piece|
|Garlic||: 5-6 cloves|
|Tomato||: 1 no.|
|Coriander Powder||: 2 tsp|
|Chilly Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Coconut Milk||: 1 ½ cup|
|Curry Leaves||: few|
Wash and clean the Vendakka/ Okra/ Ladies Finger. Cut into small lengthy pieces. Heat oil in a pan, stir fry the Vendakka/ Okra with little salt, drain and keep aside.
In the same pan, heat oil, pop mustards, curry leaves and after it crackles, add sliced onion, chopped ginger, garlic, slit green chilly and sauté well.
Once it becomes soft, add the masala powders and sauté for few minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté till it is mashed well.
Add the coconut milk (thick) and let it simmer. Add the stir fired Okra/ Vendakka to the gravy.
Let it simmer for two minutes. The yummy Vendakka Mappas is ready. Serve it hot with rice or rotis.
- You can add ginger garlic paste (1 tsp) instead of chopped garlic/ ginger.
- Adjust the spices as per your spice level.
- You can try adding vinegar instead of Tomato.
- Okra/ Lady’s Finger/ Vendakka are rich sources of dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins; often recommended by nutritionists for cholesterol controlling and weight reducing benefits.
- It is one of the vegetables with highest levels of anti-oxidants. It is rich in flavonoids and helps to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- It is an excellent source of vitamin-C and helps the body to develop immunity against infectious agents, reduce episodes of cold and cough and protect it from harmful free radicals.
Please try it and let me know if you like it or share with your friends through the share buttons on the side. God Bless!!