Sweet Corn Chicken Soup / Chicken & Sweet Corn Soup
Sweet Corn Chicken soup is a classic Indo-Chinese soup with creamy Sweetcorn and Chicken. This delicious silky soup is a guaranteed crowd pleaser and one of the most popular Indo-Chinese dishes enjoyed all over India. Made from Scratch, this hearty, Sweet Corn Chicken soup is light on the tummy and an absolute joy during Monsoon. Soups are great starters; it is so blissful to have that warm bowl of soup that not only comforts your heart but also curbs your hunger and refines your appetite.
Indo- Chinese fusion cuisine with amazing flavour combinations is very popular in Indian street food market. Indians heartily enjoy Fried rice, Noodles, Chopsuey, Wontons, Soups, Manchurian and Szechuan dishes. This Chinese Sweet Corn Chicken Soup is a super comforting meal, loaded with subtle flavours to please kids and grown-ups alike. Moreover, it helps to boost your immunity levels to fight the Covid virus effectively. Soups are great for hydration, and herbed, protein rich chicken broth is filled with anti-inflammatory properties.
If you like your soup spicy, check my Chicken Manchow soup, a delicious combo of chicken, vegetables and fried noodles. Chicken Broccoli soup, Herbed Chicken Soup, Mushroom Soup, Palak Soup are all quite delightful and easy to prepare at home. Also, check my Chilli Garlic Fried rice, Spicy Chicken and Prawn Fried rice, Vegetable Fried rice, Chicken Hakka Noodles, American Chopsuey, Honey Chilli Chicken, Szechuan Chicken, Lollipop Chicken, Beef Mushroom Chilli, Soya Manchurian, Chilli Fish, Chilli Pork, Spring roll, Paneer chilli, Gobi Manchurian etc.
Health Benefits of Corn:
- Corn is rich in antioxidants and has several health benefits.
- It contains B vitamins, which are important to your overall health.
- Also, it aids digestion as it is high in fiber content.
- Many essential minerals such as copper, iron, zinc, magnesium, and manganese are present in Corn.
- Since, it is a good source of zeaxanthin, it is supposed to improve eye health.
The sweetness of the corn and succulent chicken is an irresistible combo in my opinion! I used fresh corn and don’t recommend canned corn unless you don’t get fresh corn cob in market. I find the flavor and texture of fresh corn to be a lot better than canned ones. You can also try with frozen corn kernels. The trick to restaurant style soup is to cream half of the corn kernels to get a creamy consistency and the whole corn kernels provides added appeal. Watch the cooking video for clear instructions to cook Sweet Corn Chicken soup from scratch. If you like my video, do not forget to like, comment and share. Stay safe and enjoy homemade delicacies.
Ingredients for Chicken Broth:
: 350 gms
: 8 cloves
: small piece
: 2 “stalk and leaves
Pepper Corns (crushed)
: ½ tsp
: a small stick
: 1 ½ tbsp
: 1 ½ tbsp
: ¼ tsp
: 1 tbsp
: 6 cups
Sweet Corn Kernels
: 1 ½ cups
: 1 cup
: 1 ½ tsp
: 4 tbsp
Spring Onion White
: 1 tbsp
Spring Onion greens
: 2 Tbsp
: 2 tsp
: 1 (or 2 Egg whites)
: to taste
Step by step Method for Sweet Corn Chicken Soup:
- First, let us make the Chicken broth/ stock. Take bony parts of the chicken, wings, legs etc. to make the broth.
- Pressure cook with salt, garlic, crushed ginger, cubed onion, spices, cubed carrot, celery, pepper, soy sauce, vinegar and 6 cups water for around half hour to 1 hour on low heat.
- Once it cools down, take out the chicken pieces, shred the meat and keep aside.
- Strain the chicken broth and discard the veggies and chicken bones.
- Remove Corn Kernels from the cob. If you are using frozen corn, wash well. If you are using canned sweet corn, avoid these steps.
- Cook the corn in 1 cup water with 1 ½ tsp sugar (add more if you like it sweeter) and ½ tsp salt.
- Keep aside ½ cup corn Kernels and grind the rest with left over sweet water to a smooth paste.
- Chop the spring onions.
- Make a thick corn slurry by adding little water to the corn flour.
- Bring the broth to a boil.
- Add the corn paste and mix well.
- Then add whole corn kernels and shredded Chicken.
- Next, add the spring onion whites.
- Pour Corn flour slurry to the broth, stirring continuously to avoid lumps, to thicken the soup.
- Adjust the salt, sugar and pepper as per your taste.
- Beat an egg or use two egg whites; add it to the simmering soup through a strainer and stir in clockwise direction.
- You will get a marble effect. If you like ribbon like egg texture, add egg in intervals stirring slowly and allow to cook and form ribbons.
- Switch off heat and add Spring Onion greens.
Serve hot and enjoy!
- Add more pepper, if you like it spicier.
- Adjust the corn flour measure to achieve desired thickness.
- Celery adds more Chinese flavours.
- Chicken broth can be prepared in advance and stored in fridge.
- You can use leftover rotisserie chicken or use chicken meat from the broth. Or cook boneless chicken with salt, pepper, little water and vinegar.
- It is better to use fresh corn as it adds to flavours.
- Add more sugar if you want it sweeter.
Hope you and your family will enjoy this wonderful soup. If you make this Chicken and Sweet Corn soup, please post a review/ comment below and share with your friends through the share buttons on the side. It will inspire me. Thanks and God Bless!!