Lollipop Chicken/ Chicken Lollipop/ Drums of Heaven
Lollipop Chicken or Crispy Fried Chicken wings are succulent appetizers with intense flavours! Drums of Heaven is the popular version of Crispy fried Lollipop Chicken, tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce. The perfect coupling of fried chicken wings and the delicious sauce makes this heavenly little package so addictive! Further more, these glorious chicken wings would make great appetizers for any party.
Also, check my other chicken starters like chicken 65, Thattukada style fried chicken, Popcorn chicken, Chicken Momos, Chicken cutlets etc. If you like Indo -Chinese dishes, please do try my Chilli fish, Vegetable fried rice, Chicken Noodles, Spicy Fried rice, Szechuan chillichicken, Chicken Manchow soup, Gobi Manchurian, Chilli Pork, Veg. Spring rolls, Honey Chilli Chicken, Beef and Mushroom, Honey Chilli Potato, Soya Manchurian, Paneer chilli etc.
The delicious, glossy dip is prepared with Szechuan sauce and few other ingredients, with a perfect balance of sweet and spicy flavours. You can use store bought Szechuan chilli paste for making Lollipop Chicken, but, I suggest you try homemade paste for better flavours! I have already posted the recipe for making Szechuan chilli paste at home. It is quite simple to prepare and you can store it in the refrigerator for preparing other Indo Chinese dishes as well. The only hurdle is dressing the chicken wings and making lollipops. Pushing back those meat and muscles might take little extra time, rest is cake walk! Nevertheless, the result is extremely rewarding!
Enjoy these fabulous Lollipop Chicken coated in a lip smacking, sweet and spicy concoction, with your family. It is quite simple to prepare lollipop chicken at home and you will be making it again and again, just to see your darlings happily licking their sticky fingers! Stay safe and healthy during these trying times and keep your loved ones happy.
Ingredients for Lollypop Chicken:
|Chicken wings||: 500 gms|
|Pepper Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Cumin Powder/ Jeera Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Kashmiri Chilli Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Garam Masala||: ½ tsp|
|Salt||: ½ tsp|
|Szechuan Chilli paste||: 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp|
|Ginger Garlic paste||: 1 tsp + ½ tsp|
|Lemon Juice||: 2 tsp|
|Plain Flour/ Maida||: 2 tbsp|
|Corn Flour||: 2 tbsp|
|Water||: as required (¾ cup)|
|Oil||: for frying|
Ingredients for Sweet and Spicy Sauce:
|Garlic||: 4 cloves|
|Szechuan Chilli Paste||: 2 tsp|
|Sugar/ Brown Sugar||: 1 tsp|
|Soy Sauce||: 1 tsp|
|Vinegar||: 1 tsp|
|Salt||: ½ tsp|
|Spring onion||: 3 stalks|
|Water||: ¾ cup|
|Oil||: 2 tsp|
|Corn Flour||: 1 tsp|
Step by step Method for Lollipop Chicken:
- Clean the Chicken wings thoroughly, drain and pat with a tissue.
- Cut along the bone joint to get two parts from each wing. One with a single bone and another with two parallel bones.
- Break the ligament from one end to separate the muscle from the bone and push the meat towards the other end to form Lollipops (This is probably a hard job for newbies- instead, you can try getting chicken lollipops from your butcher or meat shops if available).
- Marinate chicken lollipops with ginger garlic paste (1 tsp), pepper powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, Garam Masala, salt, lime juice and Szechuan Chilli paste (1 tbsp).
- Keep aside for an hour.
- Mix Plain Flour (Maida), Corn Flour, ½ tsp Ginger Garlic paste, 1 tbsp Szechuan Chilli paste, enough salt and water to form a medium thick batter.
- Heat oil and fry the Chicken Lollypops till golden brown. Drain on a tissue and keep aside.
- Chop the garlic and spring Onion whites.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add the chopped garlic followed by spring onion whites.
- Sauté for a minute and add the Schezwan chilli paste and fry for another minute.
- Add salt and sugar and mix well. Next, add Soy sauce and vinegar to taste.
- Pour water and bring to a boil.
- Mix 1 tsp corn flour in 2 tbsp water and add to the pan to thicken the sauce.
- Turn off the fire and add chopped spring onion greens.
- Cover the bone part of the Lollipop chicken with silver foil.
Dip each lollipop in the dipping sauce and and enjoy with your family.
- You can get chicken lollypops from your butcher or prepare them from chicken wings.
- Lollipop Chicken can be served without the sweet and spicy sauce as per your choice.
- For crispy results, do not overcrowd the pan while frying to maintain the right temperature.
- If you are serving as starters, fry just before serving. However, you can make the sauce earlier.
- Check the link for homemade Szechuan chilli paste. You can use store bought chilli sauce as well, but homemade has better flavours!
- Adjust the spices and sugar as per your taste.
- You can use Brown sugar or Honey instead of white sugar for the sauce. Make sure you add honey only after turning off the heat.
Prepare this crispy, tender Lollipop Chicken/ Drums of Heaven and enjoy with your family. I would like to hear from you, how well it came out for you. Please share or put in your comments to motivate me to bring you more delicious and wonderful homemade recipes. God Bless!!