Chicken Momos / Homemade Chicken Momos recipe
Chicken Momos are lip-smacking savoury dumplings, a traditional dish originally from Tibet. It is also known as Dim sums, Chicken Dumplings, Baozi and is popular in most Asian countries. In India, you will find many street food stalls selling numerous varieties of momos with Paneer, Potato, Cabbage, meat or chicken fillings. Momos can be steamed or deep fried and is served with spicy Tomato chutney, Chilli Garlic sauce or green chutney. You can check the recipe for Spicy Tomato chutney below and check the links for Chilli Garlic sauce and Green chutney.
My kids just love steamed Chicken momos and I did some research on how to make Chicken Momos at home, to be on the safer side. Making the filling was always easy but the covering and pleating part was a tad difficult and I almost gave up. Then came Incredibles 2, and the Pixar short film “Bao” along with it, and I was inspired again. This time, the shape looked better and kids were ecstatic. They have even nicknamed it as “Meemos” – short for meemis momos! Ha Ha..
These delicious steamed Chicken Momos are quite filling and healthy to serve to your kids as evening snacks. Some may have a different opinion as the covering/ coating is made of Maida; you may ignore that thin covering part and think about the nutritional filling and the fresh chutney instead. The filling of Chicken Momos has a lot of fiber and protein and children love it. Check my other kid’s friendly Indian snack recipes like Kathi rolls, Healthy chicken wraps, Chicken Popcorn, Paneer fingers, Soya cutlets, Masala Vada, Uzhunnu Vada, Fish cutlets, Crispy Honey Chilli Potato, Chicken cutlets, Corn chaat, Pav Bhaji, parathas, chicken samosas etc. If your kids love baked savoury goodies, try Homemade Egg Puffs, Paneer Puffs, Chicken Tikka Pizza, Crescent rolls, Turkish Pide, Whole wheat Pizza, Veg. Pizza, Stuffed Garlic Bread, Sausage Dinner rolls etc.
I have also added the recipe for Red Tomato chilli chutney for momos. You can prepare them in advance and keep it chilled. The pleating part can be a little tricky, but you will learn to do it after a couple of tries. Well, I did, though I am yet to reach the swift, ease mode with which the Tibetans do the wrapping. God willing, I intend to try and enjoy the delicious Momos more often. For Fried Chicken momos, you just need to deep fry the prepared dumplings in oil, on medium flame, till slightly golden. Drain and serve hot. Without further ado, here is the lip smacking recipe for steamed Chicken Momos. You are going to love this for sure! God bless!
Ingredients for wrap:
|Plain Flour/ Maida||: 1 ½ cup|
|Oil (optional)||: 1 tsp|
|Salt||: as required|
|Water||: as required ( ½ to ¾ cup)|
Ingredients for Chicken Momos filling:
|Boneless Chicken Breast||: 250 gms|
|Onion||: 1 big|
|Carrot||: 1 small|
|Green Chilly||: 2 -3 nos.|
|Ginger||: small piece|
|Garlic||: 4-6 cloves|
|Coriander leaves (Cilantro)||: a handful|
|Spring Onion||: 5 – 6 stalks|
|Salt||: as required|
|Pepper Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Soya sauce||: 1 tsp|
|Vinegar||: 1 tsp|
|Oil||: 1 tsp|
Ingredients for Spicy Tomato chutney:
|Tomatoes||: 2 nos. (big)|
|Kashmiri Red chilly (whole)||: 10 – 12|
|Garlic||: 5 cloves|
|Ginger||: tiny piece|
|Vinegar||: 1 tsp|
|Soy Sauce||: 1 tsp|
|Salt||: as required|
|Sugar||: 2 pinches|
Step by step recipe for chicken Momos :
- Mix Flour and salt and add water little by little to make a smooth dough; not too hard or soft. If the dough is sticky, rub some oil in your hands and knead it.
- Keep covered for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken breast into small pieces and mince in the mincer or grinder.
- Chop the onion, ginger, garlic, carrot, green chilli, coriander leaves, spring onion finely.
- Combine the chopped veggies and herbs, chicken, salt, soy sauce, vinegar and oil. Oil keeps the chicken moist and juicy.
- Divide the dough into small balls; after dusting roll it into thin circles of 3 inches diameter.
- Place two tsp. of chicken momos stuffing in the centre.
- Now lift one side and press the edges to seal.
- Start pleating and joining to the same pleat.
- Once you finish pleating slightly twist and press together to seal it. Your potli shaped chicken momos are ready.
- You can shape momos in various ways. Start sealing the edges like before and pleat little apart while joining with the other side of the circle and make pleats till you finish. Once you get the hang of it, you will be able to do a little faster.
- Pour water in a steamer and bring to a boil. Grease the steamer plate and arrange the momos without touching each other.
- Cover and steam on medium high for 10 minutes or more.
- For the Spicy Tomato chutney, boil the Kashmiri red chilies and tomatoes in water for 3 minutes and keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Drain and peel the tomato skin after five minutes.
- Grind the tomatoes, chilies, garlic, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and salt together to get a red grainy chutney. You can add a pinch of chat Masala to this (optional).
Serve the steaming momos with Spicy red chutney and or green chutney and enjoy!
- You can use Rice powder for dusting, it is easier to roll that way.
- Raw minced chicken is used for filling. It is extremely delicious than sautéed/ cooked mince.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste. You may use customized fillings of your choice.
- Carrots add a distinctive flavor to the chicken filling, chop it finely and add. You may use a chopper to mince carrots and onions.
- For shaping momos, stick to the style that is comfortable for you. Remember, it becomes perfect with practice. You can do it. (y)
- Steam cook the momos for 8 – 12 minutes. The time depends on your vessel and flame. Medium high flame is recommended.
- Overcooking will make the filling dry and hard. The cover will change colour and will be transparent. It should not be sticky.
- Serve with Tomato chilli chutney or Green chutney. You can store the tomato chutney in the fridge for 3 – 4 days.
- You can prepare the momos in advance and refrigerate them and steam them the next day. Just make sure you are storing it in an air tight container, to make sure that moisture stays put.
- Do not cook, freeze and reheat. It will make the covering dense and hard.
Hope you enjoy preparing these Chicken Momos! Your feedback is important and keeps me motivated and drive me to do more. If you like this recipe, please share this recipe with your friends and relatives. Thank you, with lots of love and a big God Bless!!