Burger Buns/ Homemade Whole Wheat Burger Buns
Burger Buns – that too Homemade Burger Buns! If you are intimidated about making bread at home, this is a great way to start. With lockdown in progress, everyone is managing with whatever is available at home. You really do not want to step out every day and risk yourselves nor can you stock perishable things like bread. Yet, the (lifesaving) bread is a necessity with your hungry kids rampaging the kitchen every now and then. Jam and bread, bread pizza, garlic toasted bread, Bread and Omelette, sandwiches – all these helped me tackle critical snack times!
These days, I consider myself a super woman- breakfast, snack breaks, lunch, again snack breaks, then evening snacks, and dinner. Phew! Not an easy task with all the cleaning and laundry. Good news is, kids have started making cookies and brownies and even desserts by themselves and clean up the mess as well. So, I have more time to make the breads. Initially, I almost gave up because of the cleaning part, but the adrenaline rush and the contentment of making your own bread had me going!
These eggless Burger buns are quite easy to prepare, sans the kneading part. If you have a dough mixer at home, it is easier for the initial mixing and requires less mixing time. Burger Bun requires no fancy ingredients and you can prepare with available things at home. Whole wheat Burger Buns are quite healthier than the plain ones. I used to make burger buns earlier with plain flour or Maida alone and they would beautifully rise to give you fluffy buns with a light, crusty exterior. Wheat Buns are little denser, but the texture was quite good and perfect for the Burger.
With homemade Burger patties, I was equally excited like my kids when the final burger was ready. The amazing burger buns and the delicious chicken patties – this lock down indulgence sure made everyone happy! Other than burger buns, check my other kids friendly bread recipes like Chicken Quesadilla, Cornflakes cookies, Sausage dinner rolls, Choco chip cookies, Stuffed Garlic Bread, Crescent rolls, lovely Cinnamon rolls, Variety Pizzas, Egg Puffs, Paneer Puffs etc. Will post more bread recipes soon. Vegetable Au Gratin aka Baked vegetables with cheese was another lockdown special dish.
Also check other tempting cake recipes like Dates and Banana cake, Rum Cake, Carrot Apple cake, Dates and carrot cake, Orange chocolate cake, Orange cake, Mahogany cake etc.
For now, try these soft and delicious Burger Buns and make your kid’s day. Wishing you a joyful baking time!
Ingredients for Burger Buns:
Whole Wheat Flour
: 250 gms
Plain Flour/ Maida
: 250 gms
: 3 tbsp
: 1 Cup
: ¼ cup – ½ cup
Yeast (Instant Dry Yeast)
: 2 ½ tsp
: ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
: ¼ cup (60 gms)
: 1 tsp
White Sesame seeds
: 2 tbsp
Extra Butter & Milk for brushing
: 2 tbsp each
Step by Step Method for making Whole Wheat Burger Buns:
- In a cup add yeast, 2 tbsp sugar and half cup warm milk. Mix well.
- Keep aside for for 5 minutes or more to get a creamy, frothy yeast mix.
- In a large mixing bowl or standby mixer, add the wheat flour, plain flour and Milk Powder. Add the salt and sugar and mix well.
- Pour the melted butter and mix. Next add the warm yeast mix and knead.
- Warm water should be added little by little as required.
- Knead for 2 – 4 minutes in a standby mixer with a dough hook attached or till the dough starts coming together. You may mix with hands as well, it takes a little longer.
- Take out the dough and transfer to a floured surface.
- Knead/ press with the heels of your palm, stretch and knead again few times (for 8- 10 minutes), to get a smooth and stretchy dough. Kneading process is important, as it helps to form gluten and in proofing, which provides a nice texture to the bread.
- Rub little butter in your hands and roll the dough into a ball, cover tightly and keep in a wide greased vessel for one and a half hours, till the dough is double in size.
- Punch and knead the dough again for just a minute (do not over knead at this point).
- Divide the dough into equal portions (I made 12 buns). Take each portion and shape them into a ball.
- Place them in a greased baking dish well apart and keep covered to rise for another hour in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 180o C.
- Brush the top of the well proofed buns with milk and sprinkle Sesame seeds on top.
- Bake the Burger Buns for about 20 minutes or till the top is golden brown.
- Once done, take out and spray/ brush with melted butter.
Cool it for few minutes and your fluffy Burger Buns are ready. Enjoy!
- I have taken equal parts of whole wheat flour and plain flour. You can use 3:1 ratio as well.
- Wheat flour makes the bun denser. Hence plain flour is used for a better texture. You can also make with Plain flour alone for fluffier Buns.
- Always use good yeast. I used Instant dry yeast.
- Lukewarm milk should be added to yeast. If the milk is too hot it will kill the yeast.
- You can substitute butter with Vegetable oil.
- Milk powder is added instead of egg.
- If you have a standby mixer, knead with a dough hook (about 4 minutes and for another 8 minutes with hand).
- Use your hands to mix the dough well and knead with the heel of your palm on a floured surface (for 8 – 10 minutes) till the dough is smooth and stretchy.
- Kneading process before first proofing is important as it improves the texture of the bread.
- After the first proofing punch/ knead for very little time and make balls.
- The bun balls should be placed a little apart, so it just touches each other after rising. If you keep it too close, there will not be enough space to expand after rising.
Please try this Homemade Eggless, Whole wheat Burger Buns and let me know how it turned out for you through comments and share with your friends using the share buttons on the sides. It would definitely encourage me. Thanks, stay safe and God Bless!!
Sharing is Caring!
Share this recipe with your friends!