Spinach Pakora/ Crispy Spinach Onion Pakora
Spinach Pakora are delicious, crunchy snacks that are perfect to serve with your evening cup of tea. Piping hot tea and Pakora are the best companions for rainy evenings. Ulli Pakoda/ Onion Pakora used to be one of our much-loved fried snacks for rainy season and it just got better and nutritious with the addition of Spinach. Even my children who are fussy spinach eaters, devoured them.
Who can say no to that golden Spinach Pakora/ Spinach fritters? Yes, I know that deep fried snacks are best avoided for health reasons, but that craving for hot freshly fried pakoras simply will not listen! Instead of deep-frying Spinach Pakora, you can try shallow frying or baking them for a healthier version. For baking, place the Spinach Pakora batter in small heaps in a tray, spray little oil and bake at 200oC for around 15 minutes to get crispy golden cover. I am not saying that it will satisfy you like deep fried golden Spinach Pakoda/ Bhaji though. sigh!
There is no dearth of teatime snacks/ Finger snacks in Indian/ Kerala cuisine. Check out these recipes for popular teatime snacks – Banana fritters, Masala Peanuts, Meat rolls, Fried cones, Chicken cutlets, Uzhunnu Vada, Paneer fingers, Cheesy Potato croquettes, Unniappam, Masala Parippu Vada, Crispy fried Idli, Vegetable Spring rolls, Chicken Samosas etc.
To make certain that your Pakoras are crispy, do not have thick batter. If you have too much flour, the centre will be stuffy and mushy, spoiling the texture. The onions and Spinach are mixed with just enough flour and mixed with very little water to ensure that they are crispy. Follow the recipe and tips closely for better results. This will be a great way to make your kids eat spinach: the crispy golden Spinach Pakora is too irresistible! Serve Spinach Pakora with Tomato ketchup, Green chutney or just snack on with hot tea. This recipe is fool proof; even beginners can make restaurant style crispy, delicious Spinach Pakora. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Spinach Pakora:
: 3 nos.
: 1 cup
: 2 -3 nos
: a small piece
Kashmiri Chilli Powder
: 1 ½ tsp
Garam Masala Powder
: 2 pinches
: ¼ tsp
Asafoetida powder/ Kayam
: ¼ tsp
: ¼ tsp
Perumjeera/ Fennel/ Saunf
: ½ tsp
Ajwain/ Thyme seeds
: ½ tsp
Besan / Gram Flour
: 3 tbsp
Maida/ Plain Flour
: 1 ½ tbsp
: 1 tbsp
: 2 – 3 tbsp
: as required
: for frying
Step by Step Method for Spinach Pakora:
- Wash the Palak/ Spinach well and drain. Keep aside.
- Slice the onions, chop the Ginger and green chilies.
- Take a bowl and put onions, ginger, green chilies and curry leaves.
- Add salt to it and mix well with your fingers till the onions are limp.
- Keep it covered for 10 minutes. Chop the spinach leaves.
- Grind coarsely the spices- chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala, Asafoetida powder, Ajwain, Perumjeera and Jeera.
- Mix Besan, Maida, Rice Powder and the ground spice mix with 2 – 3 tbsp water.
- Put the spinach and flour mix to the Onion Bowl and combine well. Adjust the salt.
- Do not add too much water or the pakoras would be mushy.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and drop small handfuls of spinach onion batter to it. Do not bother about the shape.
- Let it fry and turn golden on both sides.
- Drain to a paper towel.
Make tea and enjoy crispy Spinach Pakoras with your family and friends.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
- Ajwain and Fennel seeds add more flavour to the Pakoras.
- Do not add excess flour or extra water. Onions release water and only a small amount of water is required to make the batter.
- The fritters should be of free shape. Put little batter with your hands to make the pakoras.
- You may also bake Spinach fritters in the Oven, but deep frying makes it tastier and crunchier.
- For baking, put small handfuls on a tray and spray little oil and bake at 200o C till brown.
So here is the simple, deliciously crispy Spinach Pakora recipe, with just a handful of ingredients. Try and let me know how it turned out for you. As I always say, your feedback is what motivates me and drive me to do more. Do not forget to share with your friends using the share buttons below. Thanks and God Bless!!