Masala Peanuts/ Peanut Masala/ Masala Groundnut
Masala Peanuts are delicious, crispy munchies. If you are craving for a nutty treat, these are hearty enough to satisfy you. Peanuts are loaded with protein, fiber, healthy fats; and roasted Masala Peanuts have distinctive flavours that adds to the appeal. It is popular in South India and is known as Masala Kadalai, Masala kappalandi, Masala Kadala etc.
The crispy, savoury coated Masala Peanuts is a perfect snack and an old-time favourite. You may have fond memories of enjoying this as a kid. Most of the old bakeries had spicy Masala peanuts in huge glass jars. During our childhood, nibbling on peanuts used to be the favourite past time while watching cricket on TV. The only problem with these peanut goodies is that your hands won’t stop digging into the jar! It is hard to resist your cravings when you listen to the satisfying crunch of nuts around you.
Instead of fried Masala Peanuts, you can bake peanuts for a healthier version. Spread the Masala peanuts on a tray, separate them with fork, spray little oil and bake @200o C for 12 – 15 minutes or till you get crispy golden cover. Fried version is super easy to make at home as you can see in the video attached. Anyone can make perfect Masala peanuts in no time. It can be stored in airtight containers for long! My jars usually get emptied within a day or two, so it is really hard to tell how long!
If you like crunchy snacks, check my Butter Murukku, Veg.samosas, Chicken popcorn, Crispy spinach fritters, Fried cones, crispy fish fingers, KFC style fried chicken, Paneer fingers, Cheesy Potato croquettes, Masala Parippu Vada, Vegetable Spring rolls, Chicken Samosas etc.
You can make Masala peanuts at home within no time and with ingredients available at home. Try this recipe for crunchy Peanut Masala with a unique blend of spices and Chickpea flour. Let your taste buds indulge in and bring back the memories etched in your mind. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Masala Peanuts:
|Peanuts||: 250 gms|
|Chickpea Flour/ Besan||: ½ cup – ¾ Cup|
|Rice Flour||: 2 tbsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||: 1 ½ tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Garam Masala||: 2 pinch|
|Fennel seed/ Perumjeera||: 1 tsp|
|Cumin/ Jeera (whole)||: ¼ tsp|
|Asafoetida powder/ Hing/ Kayam||: 2 pinch|
|Salt||: 1 tsp|
|Garlic cloves||: 3 – 4|
|Curry leaves||: few|
|Vegetable oil||: for frying|
Watch Video Recipe (https://youtu.be/6xwJXSbPEPI)
Step by Step Method for Masala Peanuts:
- Wash the peanuts and drain immediately.
- Transfer the flour mix, spices, salt and garlic to a grinder, and grind for just 5 seconds.
- This is to combine everything and crush the garlic.
- Add this to the drained peanuts and curry leaves and dry coat the peanuts well.
- Pour water little by little to coat the peanuts.
- Make sure the mix is sticky and not loose.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Take small portions of peanut masala mix and put in hot oil.
- There should be enough oil to fry the peanuts. T
- ake a spoon or fork and separate the lumps while frying.
- Stir the peanuts for even frying.
- When the coating turns golden brown drain with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer to a plate lined with tissues.
The hot peanuts will be softer, but it becomes crunchy when cold. Allow to cool well and enjoy the deliciously crunchy Masala peanuts.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
- Fennel seeds and Hing add more flavours to the Peanuts
- Only a small amount of water is required to make the batter.
- You may also bake Masala Peanuts in the Oven for a healthier version; however, deep fried Masala peanuts are tastier and crunchier.
- For baking, arrange peanuts on a tray and spray little oil and bake at 200o C for around 12 minutes.
So here is the simple, deliciously crispy Masala coated peanuts recipe, with just a handful of ingredients. Try and let me know how it turned out for you. As I always say, your feedback is what motivates me and drive me to do more. Do not forget to share with your friends using the share buttons below. Thanks and God Bless!!