Garlic Mayonnaise, Homemade Mayonnaise, Aioli
Garlic Mayonnaise, also known as Aioli is a Mediterranean sauce, used as dip or spread. Well, here is a fabulous recipe for Garlic Mayonnaise! Homemade Mayonnaise tastes super delicious and fresh than store bought ones. It is quite easy to prepare and requires only simple ingredients. I was totally ec-sta-tic after preparing Garlic Mayonnaise for the first time at home. It tasted great and for some days, kids wanted only sandwiches and chicken rolls for school lunch.
My love for Garlic is not just because it is a flavor booster; (yes, I do add them in almost all my savoury dishes), but also for the reason that it brings along numerous health benefits! Garlic has anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which helps to lower Cholestrol, regulate Blood Pressure and sugar levels. I have noted some of the health benefits below, in case you are interested to know more about it. Also, do check my special Garlic recipes like Stuffed Garlic Bread, Cheesy Garlic Crescent rolls, Veg. Sandwiches, Grilled sandwiches, Healthy Chicken wraps etc.
This Aioli/ Garlic flavoured Mayonnaise can be served as a dip with Fish Fingers, Calamari fritters, Crispy Beef strips, Kebabs, Tandoori chicken, cutlets; or spread them in toasted bread and serve hungry kids! It goes well with almost everything! After preparing the Mayo, store in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator. It stays fresh up to: Hmm. well, I am not an expert, it never lasted that long for me to check. I prepare in small quantities as I like it fresh. Takes very less time to prepare so, I am not very bothered if I don’t have any stock.
I have not used lemon in this recipe as it makes the Mayonnaise sour over time. Instead, I have used brewed Vinegar with mild flavours. Use any mild flavoured Vinegar and Olive oil or Good brand of Sun Flower oil (I used Sun Drop). Mustard is also not added, as I don’t want it to overpower the great garlic flavour. I used to get a lot of queries from my readers about “how to make Mayonnaise at home”. So, here is the recipe to make that beautiful, velvety smooth, creamy Garlic Mayo!
|Egg||: 1 no.|
|Garlic||: 2 small cloves|
|Vinegar (Mild)||: 1 tsp|
|Olive oil / Sunflower oil||: 1 cup (approx. 250 ml)|
|Salt||: to taste (½ tsp)|
Chop the garlic finely. In a blender beat the garlic and egg together till it thickens.
Blend in the vinegar and continue beating. Now, slowly pour the oil little by little and continue beating till you get a thick consistency. Add the salt and beat for few seconds more.
Your Garlic Mayo is ready. Yes, it is that simple. So, grab the ingredients and start right away.
Health Benefits of Garlic:
Apart from its super flavours that makes it a favourite ingredient in most savoury dishes, Garlic is valued for its numerous Health Benefits as well. Here are some reasons why you should consider adding Garlic to your daily diet.
- Garlic is known to have high anti-oxidant properties and strengthens your immunity.
- Studies shows that Consuming Garlic is a natural way to lower Blood Pressure and has no adverse side effects.
- It is rich in Allicin, which helps to lower cholesterol levels in the body.
- Daily intake of Garlic aids good digestion and rectifies intestinal ailments as it has strong anti-bacterial properties.
- Medicinal properties of Garlic give relief to cold and cough. The addition of Garlic in Chicken Soup is effective in controlling cold, if taken regularly.
- Allicin present in Garlic increases insulin production and controls diabetes.
- Use only 2 small cloves of Garlic for this recipe. More Garlic will spoil the taste.
- You may use Olive oil or a good brand of Sun Flower oil. I used Sundrop Lite.
- The Vinegar should not be too strong. Brewed Vinegar is mild so is Fruit Vinegar.
- You may replace the vinegar with Lime juice. However, it might turn extremely sour over time.
- Garlic Mayonnaise can be used as dip or spread.
- It can be stored in refrigerator, in an air tight container or bottle.
- Make sure your blender is in moderate speed. If you overdo it, chances are your Mayonnaise will split.
- In case your Mayonnaise splits, do not worry, as it can be fixed. Take another egg yolk, beat it and slowly add the mixture little by little and continue to beat. Add a quarter measure of extra oil and beat till you get creamy texture.
Try this fabulous Homemade Garlic Mayonnaise and let me know how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions mean a lot to me and would encourage me to create more wonderful recipes for you. God Bless!!