Pepper Chicken with Lime (Kerala Style)
Pepper Chicken with Lime (Kerala Style)
Spicy “Pepper Chicken with Lime” is a classic version of ‘Kurumulaku (Black Pepper) chicken roast’ that is popular in Kerala Cuisine. It is a traditional chicken dish; the chicken gets the flavors from crushed Pepper corns and spices. Chicken is roasted in spicy brown gravy laced with lime for tanginess and the main hero of the dish “Black Pepper corns” makes it a great savory delight! Pepper Chicken is quite easy to prepare with simple ingredients that is readily available at home. I have made it more appealing with fried toppings, so, it is a perfect dish to serve your guests in gourmet style or even pep up your weekend dinner!
‘Pepper Chicken with lime’ is best enjoyed with rice, SimplePulao, Paneer Pulao, Roti or Whole wheat Naan. Chicken with bones is best for this style of preparation compared to boneless Chicken pieces. You can fry some Red Bell Pepper (Capsicum) to add to the appeal. This healthy chicken dish is great for chilly nights as the pepper adds warmth and the lime give it a tangy kick.You may also like my Chicken 65, Thattukada style chicken fry and Chicken roast recipes.
The recipe calls for crushed Black Pepper corns, but, I have modified it with half measure of pepper powder to suit my kids’ taste buds. If you like it the spicy way, prepare it with additional crushed pepper instead of pepper powder. Also, check out how to make Garam Masala at home, as it plays an important role to enhance the flavors. Also, use Coconut oil to prepare this special “Pepper Chicken with lime” as it adds to the unique flavors and makes it nothing short of a masterpiece! Need I say more??
Prep. Time: 25 mts.
Serves : 5
|Chicken||: 1 kg.|
|Lime||: 1 no.|
|Onion||: 2 nos.|
|Garlic||: 6 -8 cloves|
|Ginger||: 1’ piece|
|Curry leaves||: 4 sprigs|
|Green Chilly||: 6 nos.|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||: 1 tbsp|
|Corn Flour||: 1 tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Pepper powder||: 1 ½ tsp|
|Garam Masala Pdr||: 1 heaped tsp|
|Whole Black Pepper Corns||: 1 ½ tbsp|
|Cardamom (whole)||: 2 -3 nos.|
|Tomato||: 1 big|
|Coconut oil||: as required|
- Clean the chicken and drain. Marinate chicken pieces with half a lime, salt, 1 tsp Pepper Powder, turmeric powder and Corn flour. Keep covered in fridge for half hour to one hour.
- Slice the onions. Slit Green chilies. Halve the Garlic and Julienne Ginger.
- Heat a pan and pour little Coconut oil. Fry the garlic first, then ginger, slit green chilies (3) and curry leaves. Drain and keep aside.
- In the same oil, roast the marinated chicken for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- In the same pan, pour little more oil and sauté the sliced onions, curry leaves and 3 slit green chilies.
- Add the ginger Garlic paste next and sauté for some more time.
- Now add turmeric powder, Pepper Powder (½ tsp) and Garam Masala.
- Sauté well and mix in the cubed tomatoes and fry for few minutes.
- Add Chicken pieces, combine well and add toasted and crushed pepper corns and crushed cardamom.
- Add juice of half a lime and half cup water. Cover and cook till done. The gravy should be thick.
- Garnish with the fried garlic, ginger and chilies. Serve hot with Rice, Naan or Rotis.
- Green chilly should be medium spicy. If it is too hot, add less.
- Adjust the spices according to your spice level.
- The gravy should be thick, so add water carefully. Cook covered and stir in between.
- Garlic, Ginger and green chilies are fried for garnishing. You may also fry Red colored Capsicum for added appeal.
- Coconut oil should be used for best results.
- I always use homemade Garam Masala. Check how to make Garam Masala at home.
- You may increase the measure of Whole Pepper instead of adding Pepper Powder. However, for kids friendly dish, stick to this recipe.
If you like this recipe, please share with your friends using the buttons on the side and let me know through comments. That would really encourage me. God Bless!!