Kanthari Chicken /Dried Kanthari Chicken Peralan
Kanthari Chicken Peralan is certainly not for the faint hearted. Considered as one of the top hottest chillies, these small (less than 2 cm long) chillies also known as Thai chilli, Bird chilli, are extremely pungent yet captivates you with its drool worthy flavours! You might have relished the green Kanthari Chicken, a Kerala speciality, but this dried Kanthari Chicken recipe takes it to another level. Dried Kanthari is available online also. Please check www.Keralaspicesonline.com
Keralites love this hot hot chilli; Kanthari Mulak chammanthi and Chenda Kappa is one of the fpopular dishes in Kerala. However, this recipe uses dried Kanthari chilli powder. I tried this dried Kanthari chicken during our visit to Yercaud to visit my cousin Binoy. Although it was extremely spicy, even my kids enjoyed the dish and it got over in no time! But we had to dab our tongues with sugar later.
Health Benefits of Kanthari:
Bird’s eye chiili/ Kanthari, is known for its weight reducing qualities. “Capsaicin” present in these chillies (green or dried) has metabolism boosting properties. It speeds up the metabolism by increasing the body temperature, which in turn helps in burning more calories to bring the temperature to normal. More calories burnt means less fat and less cholesterol! Such good news for the weight watchers! Furthermore, it helps in increasing the appetite and improves digestion. Known as a powerful pain reliever, Capsaicin also helps to reduce blood sugar and blood pressure. Apart from its exceptional medicinal values, Kantrhari is also renowned for its anti-microbial, antifungal and antibacterial properties. But, if you are prone to stomach ulcers or heartburn, please avoid the same as it could cause stomach irritation.
You might also like less gravy Chicken roast recipes like Easy Chicken Roast, Thirummi chicken roast, Lemon Pepper chicken, Peshawari chicken curry, Kadai chicken and Coconut Chicken Roast. If you are looking for gravy dishes, check Punjabi Chicken Curry, Spicy Ginger chicken, Chettinad Chicken curry, Nadan Chicken curry with Potatoes, Chicken curry with Thengakoth, Chicken Tikka Masala, Butter chicken etc.
Serve Kanthari Chicken with rice, Pulao or Rotis. I have adjusted other spices so as not to overpower the bold flavours of “Kanthari”. See how to make delectable, dried Kanthari chicken Peralan with mouthwatering flavours! Enjoy!
Ingredients for Kanthari Chicken Peralan:
|Chicken||: 1 kg|
|Onion||: 2 (big)|
|Ginger||: 1 inch piece|
|Garlic||: 12 cloves|
|Tomatoes||: 2 nos. (medium)|
|Coriander Powder||: 1 ½ tbsp|
|Turmeric powder||: ½ tsp|
|Pepper Powder||: ¾ tsp|
|Kanthari Powder/ Bird’s eye chilli Pdr||: 2 tsp (or lesser)|
|Perumjeera Powder / Aniseed powder||: ½ tsp|
|Garam Masala powder||: 1 tsp|
|Tomatoes||: 2 (medium)|
|Curry Leaves||: 4- 5 sprigs|
|Salt||: as required|
|Coconut oil||: 3 tbsp|
|Ghee||: 1 tsp|
Step by step recipe for making Kanthari Chicken:
- Clean and cut the chicken into small pieces. Believe me, smaller pieces are better, and it makes the chicken tastier; infused with flavours!
- Slightly roast the dried Bird’s eye chilli/ Unakka Kanthari in a pan before grinding. Be careful while grinding, as it is very Pungent. Keep in a dry glass container.
- Heat a big pan, slightly toast the spices – Coriander Powder, Pepper Powder, Kanthari chilli powder, turmeric and Garam Masala. Keep aside.
- In the same pan pour Coconut oil and when hot, add curry leaves to splutter.
- Add sliced onions, finely chopped Ginger and Garlic and sauté well.
- When it is transparent, add sliced tomatoes and fry till limp.
- Next, add the toasted spice powders and fry again for few minutes.
- Put the chicken pieces, salt and combine well to coat the pieces.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cover with a lid and allow to cook. Do not add any water.
- Stir in between to ensure chicken is not sticking to the pan. Chicken will release enough water to cook.
- Cover and cook on medium flame, stirring in between.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the ghee and mix well. Allow to dry the gravy if any and adjust salt.
- Once the chicken is well coated with gravy, switch off the flame and allow to rest.
- Enjoy with Rice, Pulao, Rotis, Appam, Vellayappam or Idiyappam.
- Use Country chicken for best results, it gives more depth and flavor to the curry. Make sure to cut into small pieces.
- Please adjust the spices according to your spice level. If you can’t stand the heat (Warning! it is extremely hot), reduce the measure of Kanthari chilli powder.
- Add little water only if you need more gravy, ideally you should have a thick gravy that coats the chicken pieces.
- Slow cook the chicken on slow- medium flame, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking in order to absorb the flavors.
- Use Coconut oil for best results.
- Please check the link for Homemade Garam Masala for best results.
I would love to hear from you about this hot hot Kanthari Chicken Roast. Please leave your comments below if you like this recipe and please share with your friends using the buttons on the side. You can also subscribe to my newsletter to get recipe updates on regular basis. God Bless!!