Instant Mango Pickle /Kerala Kaduku Manga
Instant Mango Pickle /Kerala Kaduku Manga
Instant Mango Pickle or Kerala style Cut Mango Pickle is known by many names like Kaduku Manga, Kadumanga Achar, Nadan manga achar or Instant Mango pickle. Kerala is blessed with Mango trees and a variety of Mangoes; native and others are cultivated here. When the summer Vacation starts in Kerala; by the end of March, the little hands and feet get busy plucking mangoes and the mothers get busy preparing a variety of Mango Pickles and other Mango delicacies like Mambazha Pulissery, Fish curry with mangoes, Dried Prawns and Mango, Mango Chutney, desserts, Mango shakes, Mango smoothies etc. My mouth is already watering thinking of all the mango specials!
Kadumanga Achar or Instant Mango pickle can be prepared with simple pickle ingredients. It is deliciously spicy and flavorful. Although pickles are supposed to be for long term reserve, Kaduku manga never lasts that long at our home. It just tastes so good, that you will get hooked to it and finish in no time. I have nostalgic memories of Ammachi’s (my granny) Uppumanga Bharani, Kannimanga achar, adamanga pickle by Kochammu and the sweet and sour vella kadumanga & carrot achar prepared by mummy and Ammaunty! Oh dear! I am drooling!
Mummy (my dear mom-in-law) makes mouthwatering, delicious pickles and her Instant Mango Pickle is just yum! She always uses coconut oil for making this, instead of Sesame oil or Nallenna. The crunchy Mango pieces is scrumptious; tangy and spicy; it is great with Rice for regular lunch, Kanji and chammanthi, Kerala Sadhya and also with curd rice. In Kerala, local varieties of Mangoes are used for Instant Mango pickle. Kilichundan Manga is considered best for pickle.
The famous Kerala Sadya, the vegetarian feast served on Banana leaves is incomplete without this special Instant Mango pickle. Since “Vishu”, the beginning of Harvest year, is fast approaching, I request you to try my other Sadya specials like Kalan, Parippu curry, Achinga Mezhukkupuratti, Aviyal, Inji curry, Vellarikka Pachadi, Erissery, Payasam etc.
Please try this wonderful Instant Mango pickle from my treasured recipes; and let me warn you in advance, it is highly addictive!
|Unripe/ Raw Green Mango||: 2 nos.|
|Mustard||: 1 tsp|
|Fenugreek seeds (Uluva)||: 1 ½ tsp (roasted and powdered)|
|Ginger||: 1” piece|
|Garlic||: 10 – 12 cloves|
|Ginger garlic paste||: 1 tbsp|
|Green chili||: 1 no.|
|Curry leaves||: 4 sprigs|
|Turmeric Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Kashmiri Chili Powder||: 4 tbsp|
|Asafoetida / Kayam powder||: 1 tsp|
|Coconut oil||: ½ cup|
|Salt||: as required|
|Vinegar (optional)||: if required|
Peel the dark green outer skin of the mangoes lightly, leaving a light green coating. Cut into small pieces. Mix these mango pieces with 1 tsp salt, cover and keep it aside for 1 hour or more.
Slice the Garlic and chop the ginger finely. Slit green chili. Take 2 tsp Uluva (fenugreek) and dry roast in a pan. Pound it into a fine powder with a pestle. Keep all the ingredients ready. Heat the coconut oil in a pan and when it is hot enough, add the mustards, when it crackles, reduce heat and add the chopped ginger, green chili and garlic, followed by ginger garlic paste. Add the curry leaves now and once the cracking stop add the chili powder, turmeric, Asafoetida, Uluva powder and 1 tsp salt.
Switch off the flame and add the diced mango pieces with its water and salt. Combine well with the spicy gravy. Add more salt if required. Do not cook the mangoes again. It should remain little crunchy. If your mangoes are not sour enough, add 1 tbsp hot vinegar. Keep it aside for cooling and transfer it to a glass bottle. Please check and follow the tips below for perfect results. Enjoy Instant Mango pickle with rice, Sadya, curd rice or have it with kanji, payar and chammanthi.
- Adjust the spices according to your spice level.
- Green chilly should be medium spicy.
- Raw/ unripe Mangoes which are medium sour is best suited for this. The famous Kerala Kilichundan Mango is the perfect choice.
- Use Kashmiri Chili powder to get that deep red color to the pickle, it is less spicy and appealing!
- Ginger Garlic Paste is also added to make the gravy thick; it also add to the flavors.
- Coconut oil should be used for best results. Some people use Sesame oil but the flavor will be different.
- You may also use whole Uluva (Fenugreek seeds) instead of Uluva powder.
- Vinegar should be added only if the mangoes are not sour enough.
- No water is required. The water from the salted mangoes are enough.
- Make sure you have all the ingredients ready before starting the process.
- Reduce heat after the mustard crackles or the garlic and ginger will get burned.
- Switch off the flame immediately after adding the spice powders.
- Do not cook after adding Mangoes. It should remain crunchy.
- Store in air tight containers. Always use dry spoons while serving.
- It will remain fresh for three days in normal temperature. If it does not get over in three days, keep it refrigerated. 🙂
Please try this recipe, and don’t forget to let me know if you like it through comments. Please like my page and share with your friends using the buttons on the side- that would really encourage me. God Bless!!