Mango curry/ Green Mango/ Angamaly Manga Curry
Mango curry with green Mangoes is a popular dish from Angamaly region in Kerala. It is a classic dish with incredible taste and unique flavours. If you have ever attended a wedding in Angamaly region, you will know what I am talking about! The wedding eve menu is considered incomplete without this Raw Mango curry. Green Mangoes are cooked in a delicious, creamy coconut milk curry with a unique blend of spices and herbs. What makes this Mango curry irresistibly delicious is the precooking preparation. This recipe is adapted from my darling sister Beenchi’s Fish curry with Mangoes. Will Post that recipe soon.
For pre wedding celebrations at Christian homes, this Mango curry is prepared with Fish, which is another mouthwatering delicacy. You can also add Prawns in this Mango curry and have with rice and vegetable. Fish/ Prawns and Mango is a great combo like my Ayala Mango curry or Unakka Chemmeen Manga thoran. Angamaly is also famous for Pork curry, the wedding eve menu at Christian homes has a delectable variety of Pork dishes like Pork pepper fry, Pork and Koorkka, Chilly Pork etc.
It is a great summer dish, and we make this Green Mango curry mostly during Lenten season. After Lent, it is usually fish/prawns with Mango curry. I wanted to post this recipe in March, but couldn’t take pics, so I made it again. Mangoes are rich in Vitamin A, C and it has good dietary fiber, which is great for digestion. Ripe Mango Pulissery, Chakkakuru Manga curry, Kadumanga, Mango chammanthi; all are classic, must have mango dishes from Kerala.
Enriched with fresh, creamy Coconut milk, this curry is velvety smooth like Butter chicken gravy or Chicken Tikka Masala gravy. Pair this Mango curry with some Beef Ularthiyathu or chicken Roast and relish it during your get togethers or weekend lunch. You will fall in love with the chunky mango pieces simmered in creamy, spicy coconut milk curry. It is so rich and flavourful, that it leaves you satiated! Do try and let me know how it turned out for you.
Ingredients for Green Mango Curry:
|Green Mango (unripe)||: 1 – 2 nos|
|Onions||: 2 nos.|
|Small Onion/ Shallots||: 10 + 3|
|Green chilli||: 6 -8 nos.|
|Ginger||: 1 inch piece|
|Curry leaves||: 4 sprigs|
|Coriander Powder||: 1½ tbsp|
|Kashmiri Chilli Powder||: 2 tsp + ¼ tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Vinegar||: 1 ½ tbsp|
|Salt||: 1 tsp|
|Coconut Milk||: ½ cup (thick) + 1 ½ cup|
|Red dry Chili||: 2 nos.|
|Curry leaves||: few|
|Coconut oil||: 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp|
Method for Angamaly Mango Curry:
- Peel the outer skin of the Mangoes. Cut into wedges and keep aside.
- Slice the onions and shallots, slit the green chilies fully and finely chop the ginger.
- Measure and keep the spices ready.
- Take a clay pot (if you don’t have one, use a pan) and add the sliced onions, small onions, green chillies, curry leaves and ginger.
- Next, add Coriander powder, Turmeric powder, Chilli powder, salt, vinegar and 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- Now, combine everything with your hand.
- This is the most important part of the preparation. Squash well for another 5 minutes, till the aroma starts to develop and the onions turn limp. Cover and keep aside for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, extract the coconut milk (I took milk from one coconut) from fresh coconut.
- Take the first Coconut Milk (Onnam Paal) pouring ½ glass water. Grind and strain the thick milk and keep aside.
- Add 1 and ½ glass water and grind again for few minutes to extract second milk (Randaam Paal).
- Pour the second milk to the pot and mix well. Adjust the salt.
- Keep the pot on the stove and bring to a boil.
- When it starts to boil, add the raw Mango pieces.
- Cook covered on low flame. Stir in between to check if the mangoes are cooked.
- When the mangoes are tender, switch off the flame and add the first coconut milk (Onnam Paal).
- Stir well to combine.
- Keep covered for the flavours to develop.
- Heat coconut oil in a kadai, add curry leaves, few sliced small onions and sauté.
- When the shallots are light brown, add dried red chili, switch off the flame and add ¼ tsp chilli powder
- Green mangoes that are medium sour are best for this curry.
- Do not skip the part of mixing the onions, herbs and spices with hand. This process brings out the unique flavours of Angamaly Manga curry.
- Fresh Coconut milk gives the authentic taste. However, you can use store brought milk as well if fresh coconut is not available.
- Cooking in Clay pot/ Man chatti/ Meen chatti brings out more flavours.
- Adjust the spices according to your tolerance level. The curry should be medium spicy to balance the tanginess of mangoes.
- Cover and cook on low flame, stirring occasionally, till mangoes are tender.
- Fish/ Prawns can be cooked this way together with mangoes. Will share the recipe soon.
- Use coconut oil for seasoning to ensure authentic taste.
Hope you liked this Angamaly Mango Curry recipe. I look forward to your feedback and comments which would motivate me to post more wonderful recipes for you. So, do put in your comments or share with your friends through the buttons on the side. God Bless!!