Vellarikka Pachadi, Kerala Sadya style
Vellarikka Pachadi is an important dish for Kerala Sadya. Yellow Cucumber or Vellari is also used for Sambar and Avial. Pachadi is also made with Green Mangoes, Pavakka / Bitter Gourd, Unripe green tomatoes, Cheera / Spinach etc., but for Sadya, Vellarikka Pachadi is used. Sweet Pachadi made of Pineapple and grapes is another variety dish for Sadhya. In Kerala, Sadhya is a grand vegetarian spread on Banana leaf served and enjoyed during festive times like Onam and Vishu and for special Occasions. Parippu Curry, Olan, Avial, Sambar, Kalan, Olan, Pulissery, Pineapple pachadi, Vellarikka Pachadi, Achinga Mezhukkupuratti, Erissery, Inji Curry, Thoran, Koottu curry, Theeyal, Papad, Mango Pickle, Crisps, Ulli curry, Mathanga Payasam, Pazham Pradhaman, Palada Payasam, Parippu Pradhaman etc. are the main dishes during Kerala Sadhya.
Since yellow Cucumber or Vellarikka contains high percentage of water, it helps in keeping the body hydrated and maintains the body temperature. So, it is good to include Vellarikka Pachadi in your regular menu during summer, as it keeps us cool and hydrated! It has many vitamins and minerals essential for a healthy diet, increases our immunity and improves our metabolic activities. Please check below to know more about the health benefits of Vellarikka.
The authentic preparation of vellarikka pachadi calls for ground mustard and coconut paste. However, for regular use I don’t grind mustard, but use it for tempering alone. It is very simple to prepare and tastes great with rice. Moru curry is a must have dish for lunch at home and I try all kinds of variety curd dishes like Papaya Pulissery, Kumbalanga Moru curry, Kalan, Pavakka or Vellarikka Pachadi, Mangapazham pulissery etc. You will surely love the variety and taste. Try this delicious and refreshing Vellarikka Pachadi. Wishing you all a healthy appetite!!
|Vellarikka / Yellow Cucumber||: 1 cup (chopped finely)|
|Green chili||: 2 or 3nos.|
|Small Onion/ Shallots||: 4 – 6 nos.|
|Coconut scraped||: ½ cup|
|Curd (thick)||: ¾ cup|
|Mustard||: ¼ tsp + ½ tsp|
|Uluva/ Fenugreek seeds||: ¼ tsp|
|Red dry Chili||: 2 nos.|
|Curry leaves||: few|
|Coconut oil||: 1 tbsp|
Peel skin, remove the seeds, wash and clean Vellarikka. Finely chop into small pieces. In a small pan, add chopped Vellari, sliced small onions (2 -3), one slit green chili and curry leaves. Add half a glass of water and cover and cook on medium flame till soft.
Meanwhile, grind the coconut with remaining small onions, green chili and ¼ tsp mustard. Grind it to a fine paste. Add this coconut mix to the coked Vellari and cook covered for few minutes on low flame. Combine well and add salt to taste. Switch off the flame and pour the well beaten thick curd to the mix. Stir to combine well.
The gravy should be thick. No extra water is required. Do not heat after mixing curd. The heat from the vellari coconut mix is enough to cook the curd. Heat coconut oil in a kadai, crackle mustards and Uluva, add curry leaves and red chili. Garnish the Vellarikka Pachadi and enjoy with rice!
- Vellarikka pieces should be chopped finely.
- Just add enough water to cook the Vellarikka.
- Grinding mustard is optional, you may avoid if you don’t like the taste.
- Use coconut oil for seasoning to ensure authentic taste.
- The curd should be thick and not very sour.
- Do not heat the Pachadi after adding curd. The heat from the cooked vellari and coconut mix is enough to cook the curd. When you heat the curd will curdle and the taste will be spoiled.
- Yellow cucumber has high water content and is known to have diuretic properties that prevents kidney and bladder diseases.
- It helps to keep the body hydrated and maintains body temperature.
- Vellari has moderate levels of Vitamin C and Vitamin A, which enhances the immunity and protects heart and eyes.
- Consuming Vellarikka regularly will improve the elasticity of the skin and helps in the metabolic activities.
- Since it is high in Potassium and very less in sodium, it helps in controlling the blood pressure.
- Cucumber is great for beautiful skin and heals sunburns.
Hope you liked this Kerala Sadya style vellarikka Pachadi recipe. It would really motivate me if you will send me your comments or share with friends through the share buttons below. Happy Onam! God Bless!