Pineapple Pachadi , Kerala Pineapple Munthiri Pachadi
Pineapple Pachadi is a hearty and wholesome dish with perfectly balanced sweet, spicy and tangy favours. Also known as Sweet Pachadi or Madhura pachadi, this dish is made of Pineapple (Kaithachakka) and grapes and is a variety dish served for Onam Sadhya. In Kerala, Sadhya is a grand vegetarian spread on Banana leaf, served and enjoyed during festive and special Occasions. Parippu Curry, Avial, Sambar, Kalan, Olan, Pulissery, Vellarikka Pachadi, Pineapple Kichadi, Erissery, Inji Curry, Thoran, Koottu curry, Papad, Mango Pickle, Crisps, Payasam, Pradhaman etc. are the main dishes during Onam Sadhya.
This Pineapple and Munthiri Pachadi is very simple to prepare and tastes great with rice. Coconut ground with chilies, cumin and mustard adds to the flavours. While Pineapple adds a sweet dimension to the dish, grapes and curd provides the tanginess and the chillies balance the sweet and sour flavours. The thick curd enhances the whole dish and lifts it to another level. It is a totally awesome dish that might seem a bit overwhelming as we usually don’t use fruits in savoury dishes. Another dish that you may like is Chakkakuru Manga Char, a dish made with green mangoes and Jack fruit seeds.
This Pineapple pachadi is not a regular dish like most of the other dishes in Sadhya. When most of the dishes are part of regular lunch menu, Pineapple Kichadi and Olan are special dishes prepared for sadya and everyone enjoys it wholeheartedly.
Most dishes are prepared with coconut – grated, ground, roasted or with coconut milk and/or coconut oil. Coconut, cumin and curd are carefully added so as not to overpower the natural taste of vegetables. You will surely love the variety and taste of different combos of vegetables. Hope you will try my Onam special recipes. For now, let’s try Pineapple and Grapes Pachadi/ Munthiri Pachadi. Wishing you all a healthy appetite!!
Ingredients for Pineapple Pachadi
|Pineapple/ Kaithachakka||: 1 ½ cup (chopped finely)|
|Chilli Powder||: ¼ tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Black Grapes||: 15- 20 nos.|
|Green chili||: 2 nos.|
|Small Onion/ Shallots||: 3-4 nos.|
|Cumin Powder||: a pinch|
|Coconut scraped||: ½ cup|
|Jaggery/ Sugar||: as required (around 1 tbsp)|
|Curd (thick)||: 3 tbsp|
|Mustard||: ½ tsp + a pinch|
|Red dry Chili||: 2 nos.|
|Curry leaves||: few|
|Coconut oil||: 1 tbsp|
Step by step recipe for Pineapple Pachadi
- Grapes should be washed thoroughly and soaked in water for some time to remove pesticides. Drain and keep aside.
- Cut the crown and bottom of Pineapple, trim the skin and take the eyes out. Remove the core and chop the pineapple into fine small pieces.
- Cook the chopped pineapple with 1 cup water, salt, few curry leaves, chili powder and little turmeric powder.
- Cover and cook on medium flame, stir in between and slightly mash the pineapple after cooking.
- Meanwhile, grind the coconut with small onions, green chili, few curryleaves, cumin powder, turmeric powder and a pinch of mustard.
- Grind it to a grainy paste. Add this coconut mix to the cooked Pineapple and cook covered for few minutes on low flame.
- Next, add the washed and drained grapes, jaggery. Cover and cook for one minute. Adjust the salt.
- Switch off the flame and pour the well beaten thick curd to the mix.
- Stir to combine well. The gravy should be thick. No extra water is required. Do not heat after mixing curd.
- Heat coconut oil in a kadai, crackle mustards, add curry leaves and red chili.
- Garnish the Pineapple Pachadi and enjoy!
- Take ripe Pineapple for better results. Chop finely.
- Coconut should be ground carefully. It should not be coarse or fine. Slightly grainy coconut paste is required.
- Add just a pinch of mustard, it should not dominate or overpower other flavours.
- Do not cook the grapes too much. It should stay crunchy.
- Use coconut oil for seasoning to ensure authentic taste.
- The curd should be thick and medium sour.
- Do not heat the Pachadi after adding curd. The heat from the cooked mix is enough to cook the curd.
Hope you liked this Kerala Sadya style Pineapple Pachadi recipe. I look forward to your feedback and comments which would motivate me to post more wonderful recipes for you. So, do put in your comments or share with your friends through the buttons on the side. God Bless!!