Beans Carrot Thoran
Beans Carrot Thoran
Beans Carrot Thoran is a great vegetable side dish for rice. My mother used to make this often at home, I think she started making it with leftover beans and carrot. During my childhood, I was a poor eater, and hated beans thoran. So, maybe mummy was trying to fool me with the carrot color. Possible!! What all mothers would do to make their children eat proper healthy food! Now I am able to understand everything as I am going through the same phase. All greens were looked upon with suspicious eyes and finishing them was horrendous task back then. Mummy used to make different style thorans to make it interesting; Beans, Kaya, Cabbage etc. was cooked in two or three different ways to add appeal.
Her Mixed doubles thoran (that is how she calls the mix thoran) like Cabbage Cherupayar Thoran, Padavalanga Carrot Thoran are all very tasty. Mix thoran is always good as it gives you added health benefits. Beans and Carrot taste great together and no oil is required for making this, so it is a healthy dish that goes well with rice. Here is the recipe…
Serves : 4
Time : 15 mts
|Beans||: ¼ kg|
|Carrot||: 1 no.|
|Scraped Coconut||: ½ cup|
|Green chilly||: 2 nos|
|Turmeric Pdr||: ½ tsp|
|Onion||: 1 no.|
|Curry leaves||: few|
Wash and Chop the beans into small rounds and keep. Peel carrots and cut into small squares. In a vessel, put these together add little salt and little water (less than ¼ cup), cover and cook on medium flame. Grind coarsely the coconut, green chilly, onion and curry leaves with turmeric powder. Once the vegetables are cooked, add this coarse coconut mix to it and mix well. Adjust the salt and cover and cook for another minute. It is ready. No oil is required. Easy right?
- Always wash and keep vegetables soaked in water for at least half an hour with little salt to get rid of harmful pesticide effects. Wash again before use.
- No oil is required. If you feel like garnishing, you can pop mustards and curry leaves in coconut oil and garnish.
- Only very little water should be used to cook the beans and carrot.
- Beans and Carrot should be equal in measure. So if your carrot is small, add one more.
- Green Beans are a good source of fiber and vitamin A.
- Beans contain healthy amounts of minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, and potassium, which are very essential for body metabolism.
- Carrots are good source of Beta Carotene, which helps to protect the skin against damage from sun exposure.
- Regular consumption of carrots lower the risk of lung cancer among smokers.
- Both Beans and Carrots are good sources of Vitamin A and benefits your skin, hair and increases your immune power.
Enjoy this healthy Beans Carrot thoran. God Bless!