Beetroot Thoran/ Beetroot Carrot Thoran/ Beetroot Poriyal
Beetroot thoran is extremely nutritious and potent with fiber, folate, vitamins, and minerals. Rich in vitamin C and Nitrates, Beets have numerous health benefits. Nitrates helps in increased blood circulation and helps to lower blood pressure. Paired with Carrot, it makes a complete, healthy side dish for rice. For most Keralites, thoran or coconut based poriyal is indispensable for lunch. Kerala cuisine encompasses Coconut and coconut oil to a great extent.
This Beetroot Thoran is quite easy to prepare if you have a Mini chopper at home. In Fact, my mini Chopper (Black and Decker) has been such a blessing for me after marriage. For chopping onions for gravy, carrots, papaya etc for thoran, even cabbage for making coleslaw etc. this has helped me a lot. It is not awfully expensive and would be a handy addition for your kitchen.
For beetroot lovers, my Beetroot and beef curry is another must try combination. I also make Carrot and Beetroot Mezhukkupuratti, without coconut, which I will post soon. During lent season, I try to prepare different variety of thoran each day, to entice everyone at home. This vibrant Beetroot and carrot thoran is very appealing and at the same time, healthy!
Mixed thoran gives you double nutritional benefits and my mom is an expert in finding the right combo. Beans carrot thoran, Cabbage cherupayar thoran, Padavalanga Carrot thoran, Cherupayar Vazhakka thoran, Vanpayar Kaya thoran, Kappa Ularthiyathu, Achinga kaya Mezhukkupuratti, Chemmeen Manga Thoran, cheera parippu thoran, Vazhacoombu cherupayar thoran, Cabbage Irachi thoran etc. are some variety mixed thoran recipes, that make every meal extremely satisfying!
Beetroot thoran is best enjoyed with Pachadi – Vellarikka pachadi, Thakkali Pachadi, Pineapple pachadi, Green Mango Pachadi, Thick Curd or even Spicy Moru. Have some Manga chammanthi alongwith to make it even more delicious. Hope you will try this nutritious Beetroot Carrot Thoran. Enjoy!!
Ingredients for Beetroot thoran:
: 2 nos.
: 1 no.
: 1 no. (medium)
: 2 nos.
: 2 cloves
: ½ cup
: ½ tsp
: ¼ tsp
: 1 tbsp
Step by step method:
- Peel, clean and wash Beetroots and carrot.
- Chop them nicely in a chopper or you may even grate them.
- Heat coconut oil in a kadai, pop mustards, add few curry leaves followed by finely chopped beetroot and carrot. Put salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium low flame for few minutes. Stir once and cover and cook again for few minute.
- Meanwhile, coarsely ground coconut, onion, green chillies, garlic and few leaves with turmeric powder.
- Add this to the beet mix and combine well. Cover and cook for another three to four minutes or done.
Serve it with Pachadi, Beef fry and Kaya mezhukkupuratti. Yum!
- Fresh firm beetroot is best suited for thoran.
- Carrot helps to balance out the intense beetroot flavor.
- Garlic and Onion adds to the flavours.
- You may add Jeerah / Cumin mix to the coconut, if you like.
- Mini Chopper is not very expensive and is easily available online. I strongly recommend using it for chopping onions, Papaya, Cabbage, Carrot, Beetroot, Gobi (for gobi Paratha) etc.
Include this nutri-rich Beetroot Carrot thoran in your weekly lunch menu for a healthy diet. God Bless!!
Sharing is Caring!
Share this recipe with your friends!