Beans Mezhukkupuratti / Green Beans Stir fry
Beans Mezhukkupuratti or Beans Ularthiyathu is quite popular in Kerala. With just the right amount of spiciness this crunchy Beans Mezhukkupuratti is a delicious addition for your meals. Green Beans are rich in Vitamins, Protein, folic acid and fiber, so adding them to your diet is beneficial for your health. I used to hate beans during my childhood, it is incredible how my taste buds have changed so much, but for better!
Rice is staple for Keralites and vegetarian side dishes with rice mostly involve coconut in various forms. Scraped coconut is used in thorans, while roasted coconut strips peps up all stir fry dishes. Roasted and ground coconut is added to curries to give a rich, brown, delectable gravy like Chicken Xacuti, Chettinad chicken, Pavakka Theeyal, Ulli Theeyal etc. Coconut milk is another wonderful way to add zest to your curries; check my Fish Molee, Mappas dishes, Ball curry, variety stews, Prawns curry recipes. Mezhukkupuratti is the Malayalam term for stir frying vegetables with spices. Beans Mezhukkupuratti is prepared in different ways according to regional tastes. This recipe for Beans Ularth is quite easy to prepare and never fails to please. I love the nutty flavour that the roasted coconut strips add to the dish.
Apart from Beans Mezhukkupuratti, check these recipes like Achinga Payar Mezhukkupuratti, Chena / Yam stir fry, Vendakka Mezhukkupuratti, Kovakka Ularth, Kaya Ularth, Koorkka stir fry and Achinga Payar Kaya Mezhukkupuratti, which are all delicious veg. side dishes. Also, check my variety mixed thorans like Cabbage and Cherupayar, Cheera Parippu Thoran, Vanpayar Kaya Puzhukku, Avial, Padavalanga Carrot thoran, Beans Carrot thoran, Beet root thoran, Vazhakoombu payar thoran etc. Green beans thoran is also a must try recipe. You will love these simple yet hearty dishes that pairs well with Fish curry, Chicken roast, Beef or Pork dishes.
Enjoy this simple Beans Mezhukkupuratti with your rice.
Ingredients for Beans Mezhukkupuratti:
|Green Beans/ French Beans||: 250 gms|
|Onion||: 1 no.|
|Mustard||: ½ tsp|
|Coconut strips||: ¼ cup|
|Curry leaves||: 2 sprigs|
|Green chilies||: 3 nos.|
|Turmeric powder||: ½ tsp|
|Salt||: as required|
|Coconut oil||: 1 tbsp|
Step by step method for Beans Mezhukkupuratti:
- Wash and soak the Green Beans in salt water/ turmeric water for some time to remove any pesticide residue if any.
- Cut them diagonally to get thin oval pieces.
- Slice the onions, slit the green chilies, and keep the coconut strips ready.
- Heat coconut oil in a Kadai, crackle mustards and add the coconut strips and stir fry till slightly brown.
- Next, add curry leaves then add Beans, together with onion and slit green chilies.
- Combine well and stir fry for few minutes on high flame.
- Reduce the flame and cover and cook on medium flame for few minutes to infuse the flavours.
- Make sure to stir in between.
- When almost cooked, add salt, Turmeric powder and combine well.
- Cover and cook again for two minutes.
- Your Beans Mezhukkupuratti is ready to serve.
Enjoy with rice and fish curry.
- Always use tender Green Beans for better taste and crunchiness.
- Adjust the measure of green chilies as per your taste.
- Coconut strips give this dish a nutty flavor.
- Do not add water.
- Make sure you add salt only after the Beans are half cooked to make it soft and crunchy.
- Stir in between while cooking to avoid burning.
- Coconut oil should be used for best flavors!
Hope you liked this Green Beans Mezhukkupuratti recipe. Please do send me your comments and suggestions or share with friends through the share buttons below. God Bless!