Kakka Irachi Ularthiyathu / Kerala Clams Roast
Kakka Irachi Ularthiyathu/ Kerala Clams Roast
Kakka Irachi Ularthiyathu/ Kerala Clams Meat Roast, is a seafood specialty dish in Kerala. Kakka Irachi is juicy and rich in flavors and tastes best when roasted to a golden brown like Beef Ularthiyath, Liver fry or Pork Fry. The spices, pepper and the coconut strips compliment the meat well and make it extra scrumptious and enticing to your taste buds! This is my mummy’s special Kuttanadu style Kakka Irachi Ularthiyathu recipe; she is an expert with traditional Kerala dishes and this is one of her first-rate dishes. We get fresh clams in Champakulam, so, this is always a special delicacy we look forward to, during our visits.
Kakka Irachi are the small sized clams that are abundant in Kerala Backwaters. The clam collectors collect the Mollusks/ Mussels and boil it to remove the shells and the clam meat is sold in markets. Clams are rich in calcium, minerals and vitamins and is classified as a high quality protein essential for building/repairing muscles and tissues. Like Liver, it is also high in iron and Omega -3 fatty acids and is recommended especially for women with low iron levels. Like Prawns fry, Spicy Prawns Masala, Srilankan Prawns curry, Squid Roast, Alleppey Fish curry, Ayala curry with mangoes, Unakka chemmeen chammanthi, Karimeen Mappas, Fish moily etc.this is also another exotic seafood dish and very much in demand.
The cleaning part is little tedious though! The greyish Black grit found inside the clams are to be removed by pressing laterally and then wash it three to four times to remove the sand and dirt. Then it is cooked with spices and roasted in coconut oil to a crispy golden brown for best results. You will find it hard not to drool while it is roasting!! Here is the recipe for preparing Kerala style Kakka Irachi Ularthiyathu/ Clams Roast/ Mussels fry. Enjoy with rice, Kumbalanga Moru curry, Beans Carrot thoran, kadumanga pickle…:) yum!
|Fresh Clams Meat||: 1 kg|
|Shallots/ Small Onion||: 200 – 250 gms|
|Garlic||: 10-12 cloves|
|Ginger||: 1’ piece|
|Curry leaves||: 4 sprigs|
|Green Chilly||: 2 nos.|
|Red Chilly Pdr||: 1 ½ tsp|
|Coriander Pdr||: 1 ½ tbsp|
|Turmeric Pdr||: 1 tsp|
|Pepper pdr||: 1 ½ tsp|
|Garam Masala Pdr||: 1 tsp + a pinch|
|Coconut strips||: ½ cup|
|Coconut oil||: 2 tbsp|
Clean the Kakka Irachi thoroughly. Press on the side gently to remove the back grit/ dirt. Wash in clean water three or four times to remove any trace of sand or dirt. Gently squeeze to drain water and keep aside.
In a pan or earthen pot (Manchatti), add the clams, slit green chilies, finely chopped ginger, sliced Shallots (small onion), sliced garlic, Curry leaves then red Chili Powder, turmeric, coriander, pepper and Garam masala powder with enough salt. Add the coconut strips and combine well.
Cook for 10 -12 minutes. Heat coconut oil in a pan and add curry leaves and 1 tbsp chopped shallots. Add a pinch of pepper powder and Garam Masala and mix in the cooked Kakka Irachi. Stir fry for 3 – 5 minutes till it turns a golden brown. Serve hot with Rice.
- Green chilly should be medium spicy. If it is too hot, add less.
- Adjust the spices according to your spice level.
- No water is required to cook the clams. Cook covered and stir in between.
- The clams should be stir fried in oil till it is slightly crispy and brown. It enhances the taste.
- Always use fresh clams for cooking.
- Coconut oil is best for roasting clams.
- I always use homemade Garam Masala. Check how to make Garam Masala at home.
- Clams have rich iron content, and is good to boost your iron levels.
- Clams are a good source of phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese and selenium, as well.
- Rich in Omega -3 fatty acids, clams help to maintain optimal heart health.
- Clams are rich in amino acids and is classified as high quality protein food that helps in growth and repair of muscles.
Please try and let me know if you like it. God Bless!!