Sponge Fruit Trifle Delight / Fruit trifle
Sponge Fruit Trifle Delight is a great dessert, made with delicious layers of Sponge Cake, fruit crush and smooth delectable Panna Cotta topped with an assortment of seasonal fresh fruits. It is a delicious fresh fruit pudding for all special occasions! This Christmas, “Sponge Fruit Trifle Delight” is my special dessert recipe for you all; a delicious dessert adapted from the classic Sponge Fruit Trifle. Trifle Pudding as you know is a layered fruit dessert with Sponge cake, custard, jelly and fruits. I have modified and made it a little more appealing with a Panna Cotta layer instead of custard and substituted the Jelly part with some fruit crush. The result is a delightful blast of flavors!!
All you need to prepare this remarkable Sponge Fruit Trifle is some sponge cake which you can prepare in advance; try my Vanilla Sponge cake or Hot Milk Sponge Cake or even buy from the local bakery. I have not used gelatin for the Panna Cotta, instead I have used China Grass/ Agar Agar, a vegetarian substitute for gelatin. You can mix and match the fruits as per your taste. I have used Pineapple, Rock melon, Apple, Banana, Kiwi and strawberries. Mangoes would be great and will compliment every fruit, but alas! It is not mango season, so I had to adjust with whatever I could get from the market. This fruit Pudding is also an original recipe, tried and tested and well received like my Apple Biscuit Crunch. Check my desserts link for special sweet treats like Gulab Jamun, Bread Pudding, Jam rolls, Black Forest cake, Mango Cheesecake, Pineapple Pudding, Falooda, Tender Coconut pudding, Eggless Chocolate Brownies and Payasams like Mathanga Payasam, Sweet Potato Payasam, Kerala Palada payasam, Parippu pradhaman etc!
With Christmas spirits all around, this is a delicious fruit dessert like Fruit salad, to mark the perfect ending to a scrumptious meal. The fruits topping makes it colorful and appealing and it would surely bring you compliments. Enjoy this delightful Sponge Fruit Trifle Delight and happily pamper your tummies with this delicious combination of sweet soft sponge, the velvety smooth Panna cotta and colorful fruits. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and joyful get together!
|Sponge Cake||: 250 gms|
|Sugar||: 4 tbsp|
|Water||: ¼ cup|
|Lime Juice||: ½ tsp|
|Strawberry Crush||: ½ cup|
|Assorted Fresh Fruits (cubed)||: two cups|
|Milk||: ½ ltr/ 500 ml|
|Condensed Milk||: 1 tin (400 gm)|
|Sugar||: 1 ½ tbsp|
|China Grass /Agar Agar||: 10 gms|
|Water||: ½ cup|
Step by Step Method for Fruit Trifle:
- Trim the edges and crust of the sponge cake. (You can make the sponge cake in advance or even buy the store bought ones).
- If you are using a pudding tray, cut the sponge cake horizontally. If you are filling indiidual bowls, cut into small squares.
- Make sugar syrup by boiling 4 tbsp Sugar in ¼ cup water.
- Mix ½ tsp lime juice. Keep aside to cool.
- Cut the fruits into cubes and coat with half of the sugar syrup. Keep covered in the fridge.
- Boil milk and add condensed milk. Add 1 ½ tbsp. Sugar and combine well on low flame.
- Cut the china grass into small strips, wash and melt in ½ cup of water over slow flame, stirring continuously.
- Once it is fully melted add to the hot milk mix and combine well.
- Strain it immediately to another bowl, stir gently and allow to cool till the milk is luke warm.
- Take a wide bowl or individual pudding bowls and layer the cake.
- Pour little sugar syrup to slightly moist the cake.
- Press down gently to get a firm base.
- Pour little strawberry crush to form a thin layer.
- Now, pour the warm Panna cotta mix slowly without disturbing the layers.
- Cover with cling wrap/ clear wrap or lid and keep in fridge for setting.
- After 4 hours or when the Panna cotta is properly set, arrange the sugar coated fruits on top.
Serve cold and enjoy the delicious “Sponge Fruit Trifle” with family and friends. Merry Christmas and God Bless!
- Adding lime juice to the sugar syrup helps to prevent discoloration of fruits like apple.
- Any Sponge cake can be used. Check the Easy sponge cake recipe link. You can prepare it in advance or even buy from store.
- The Panna Cotta should be smooth, stir well after mixing the melted china grass.
- The Panna Cotta mix should be poured when it is lukewarm.
- You may also use gelatin instead of China Grass (Agar Agar) for setting the Panna cotta. Use plain Gelatin.
- The fruits should be placed on top after the Panna cotta is set. You may even mix the fruits just before serving.
- I have used Strawberry crush instead of Jelly as I am not a big fan of Jelly. You may try adding jelly or use any other fruit crush for different flavor.
Hope you enjoy this delightful “Sponge Fruit Trifle Delight”. Continue to encourage me by commenting below or by sharing to your friends using the links on the side. God Bless!!
Sharing is Caring!
Share this recipe with your friends!