Black Forest cake/ Super Moist Black Forest cake
Black Forest cake/ Super Moist Black Forest cake
Black Forest Cake is what I call a special Occasion cake, to be enjoyed with friends and family. Well, a lot of effort is required to get that perfect cream icing to impress everyone, so it is a cake for celebrations! You must be wondering what the celebration is about! It is the Second Anniversary of meemiskitchen.com! I am more than excited to celebrate this amidst all cheers and joy. It has been wonderful two years and thanking God Almighty for His abundant blessings for giving me so much joy in preparing the dishes and sharing the recipes with you.
Black Forest Cake/ Black Forest gateau is originally a German dessert, with layers of Chocolate and Cherries and Whipped cream. The combination of chocolate and cherries or berries are always fantastic and tempting! Strawberry and chocolate is another favorite combo. Usually, Chocolate sponge cake is used for preparing Black Forest Cake. What I have used is chocolate cake, another original recipe from meemiskitchen.com. If you prefer chocolate sponge cake, check my Chocolate strawberry cake for the cake recipe. If you want that coffee flavor, check Mahogany cake recipe and follow the steps for layering. Also, check my Christmas fruit cake recipe, Dates and carrot cake, Banana cake etc for variety fruit cakes.
As I couldn’t get any fresh cherries, I have used canned ones and have used the cherry syrup for moisturizing the cake. The whipped cream I used was non-diary whipping cream, and it indeed tasted better than the thick diary cream. The fresh cream layering can be a little tricky for beginners, but you will pick up within three or four trials. I did! 😊
So, here is my second Anniversary special post – “Black Forest Cake”. Thanking all my well-wishers and special thanks to all who have tried my recipes for all your support, encouragement, comments and messages. Past two years have been fantastic and I hope to post more wonderful recipes for you. Prayers for each one of you and may God bless you and your family abundantly.
Ingredients for Chocolate Cake:
|Flour/ Maida||: 250 gms (2 cups Approx.)|
|Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)||: 75gms|
|Hot water||: 1 cup|
|Baking Soda||: 1 ½ tsp|
|Baking Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Salt||: 1 pinch|
|Curd||: 2 tbsp|
|Butter||: 150 gms|
|Powdered Sugar||: 300 gms|
|Eggs||: 4 nos.|
|Vanilla Essence||: 1 tsp|
|Cherry Jam / Mixed Fruit Jam||: 2 tbsp|
Ingredients for Layering:
|Non-Diary Whipping Cream||: 500 gms|
|Sugar||: 2 tbsp|
|Canned Cherries||: ½ cup|
|Cherry Syrup||: ¾ cup|
|Sugar Syrup||: ¼ cup|
|Chocolate curls||: for decoration|
Grease two 8” tins and line it with butter paper. Again, grease and dust it with flour and keep ready. Mix the entire cocoa Powder (75 gms) with Hot water and keep aside. Seive Flour three times (250 gms) together with Baking Powder and Baking Soda and salt. Cream Butter (150 gms) and Sugar (300 gms) till soft and fluffy. Add eggs (4 nos) one by one and mix well. Now add Vanilla Essence, Cherry Jam and 2 tbsp Curd and combine well.
Preheat the oven to 170o C (338 F). Add the flour and Cocoa mix alternately to the bowl and gently fold in. Pour to the greased tins and then bake in the preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes till done or the inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool completely. Run a knife round the side of the cake to loosen it. Invert the cake to a wire rack or Parchment paper. Peel off the lining paper.
For preparing whipping cream, transfer to a bowl placed in a larger bowl of iced water and beat well till soft peaks are formed. Sprinkle 2 tbsp sugar and continue beating till you get stiff whipping cream. Drain the cherry syrup and take out the cherries. Cut few cherries into small pieces and keep aside. Boil ¼ cup of water and dissolve 2 tbsp Sugar in it. Take it off the flame and add the cherry syrup (¾ cup) to it.
With a sharp knife, mark and cut both cakes horizontally into 2 even layers. It is better to have a turn table while cutting the cake. For even cutting, turn the cake and not knife as you cut through. You can layer three or four cake layers as per your liking. I used three. Pour little syrup over bottom cake layer to make it moist and soft. The entire layer should be moistened (1/3 syrup). Now top it with whipping cream and spread evenly over the layer. Arrange the sliced cherries on top.
Lift the middle cake layer carefully and place it on top of the decorated layer and press slightly. Fill with whipping cream and cherries the same way. Set the top layer and spread the cream smoothly with a palette knife. Cover the sides with cream and smooth it. Put the remaining cream in a piping bag with star nozzle. Pipe on the sides and make rosettes on the top as per your liking. Decorate with cherries and chocolate shavings/ curls.
Keep covered in the fridge till use. Serve and enjoy!
- Always make sure you have the correct measurements. (It is better to have weighing scales. or cake measuring cups, to get exact measures.
- Use good quality butter, Baking Powder and Baking Soda.
- You can try any chocolate cake for this recipe. Check my chocolate and strawberry cake or Mahogany Cake for another chocolate cake recipe.
- Fresh eggs should be used for a better result.
- Tapping the pans will force any air bubbles to the surface, which can help avoid holes in your finished cake.
- Flour, baking powder and salt should be mixed well. Sieve 3 -4 times to release air bubbles.
- I have used non-diary whipping cream as it gives a good texture and taste. It is non – greasy and has more stability than diary cream.
- Canned cherries were used in this recipe and the cherry syrup in the can.. If the cherry syrup is not sweet add little sugar syrup to balance.
- This cake should be baked at the correct temperature mentioned. Trim the top crust and sides if it is domed or crusty to level the cake.
- To smoothen the cream. Keep the palette knife gently on top of the cream and turn the cake to get an even spread. Do not worry if it is not perfect the first time. Practice makes it perfect over time. 🙂
- The cake should be fully moistened with cherry sugar syrup. Use more syrup if required to make it super moist and soft.
Hope you liked this Black Forest Cake recipe. Enjoy with family and friends on special occasions. Please continue to support and encourage me by commenting below or by sharing to your friends using the links on the side. God Bless!!