Kappa Biriyani / Kerala Tapioca Biryani / Erachi Kappa
Kappa Biriyani or Irachi Kappa/ Ellum Kappayum is a must try Kerala delicacy that is a feast to behold, with a delightful blend of flavours. Kerala Kappa Biriyani is a wholesome meal, a delightful duet of Kappa and Beef, a flavourful mixture of Tapioca and spicy Beef that is an all -time favourite of non-vegetarians in Kerala. Mostly popular in Central Kerala, in Kottayam and Idukki region, this Kappa Biriyani is a popular dish like Chenda Kappa, Chakka Kuzhachathu, Kappa vevichathu with beef roast or Red fish curry. Thrissur style Kappa Ularthiyathu is another Kappa delicacy. Although recipes differ from region to region, the outcome is always delectable, as the Beef Kappa Combo is a treat to remember. Tapioca is also known by other names like Cassava, Yuca; Kappa, Kollikizhangu, Maracheeni etc.
Some foods are embedded in our memories and taste buds; soulful, comfort dishes that we would love to have at any time of the day. Kappa Biriyani is a preferred meal at home,be it for lunch or dinner, and enjoyed wholeheartedly by everyone. Like Biriyani, it is a complete meal and great for special occasions/ get-togethers. Spice coated Beef and Kappa create a great harmony of flavours with enticing aroma that makes Kappa Biriyani extremely tempting.
Keralites love all Beef combinations like Beef and koorkka, Beef and Vazhakka (unripe Banana), Beef Kadachakka Curry, Beef and Beetroot, Beef and Mushroom etc., apart from Beef Pepper Fry, Beef ularthiyathu, Meatball curry and Spicy Beef curry. It is advisable to include lots of vegetables in your diet and have red meat in moderate portions. Like I had mentioned before, it is better to eat everything in moderation rather than deprive ourselves the happiness of enjoying our favourite dishes.
If you like authentic Kerala dishes, wander through my recipes like Karimeen Mappas, Red fish curry, Kerala Mutton Curry, Kakka Irachi Ularthiyathu, Nadan Tharavu Puralan, Duck pepper Roast, Nadan chicken curry, Thattukada Chicken fry, Squid fry, Chemmeen roast, Ayala/ Mackerel Mango curry etc. There are also variety vegetarian dishes- sadhya specials, thoran, Veg. stir fry and curry dishes.
Kappa Biriyani can be prepared with Mutton and chicken as well; although I prefer the Beef combination. Beef ribs are best suited for this preparation, but since I couldn’t get the same, I bought Beef with some joint Bones. This recipe for Kerala Kappa Biryani is special, my original recipe, with carefully selected spices and different style of preparation. Beef is prepared with herbs and spices, then combined with mashed Tapioca and roasted coconut and spices that adds to the appeal. I am sure you all will enjoy this delectable Kappa Biryani. Here goes the recipe. For Kappa Biryani recipe in Malayalam, check below.
Ingredients for Kappa Biriyani:
|Beef ribs/ Buffalo meat with bones||: 1 kg|
|Tapioca / Kappa||: 1 kg|
|Onion||: 2 nos.|
|Garlic||: 12 cloves|
|Ginger||: 1 ” piece|
|Green chilli||: 1|
|Curry Leaves||: 4 sprigs|
|Coriander powder||: 2 tbsp|
|Chilli Powder||: 2 tbsp tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Pepper Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Garam Masala (check link)||: 1 tsp|
|Vinegar||: 1 tsp|
|Coconut oil||: 2 tbsp|
Ingredients for Roasted Masala:
|Grated Coconut||: 1 cup|
|Coriander Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Chilli Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||: a pinch|
|Perumjeera / Fennel seeds||: 1 tsp|
|Garam Masala||: ½ tsp|
Step by step recipe for Kappa Biriyani:
- Peel the skin of Tapioca, clean thoroughly and cut into small pieces and keep in water.
- Boil enough water and cook Kappa/ Tapioca till soft, add salt and simmer for one minute and drain. Mash this Tapioca and keep aside.
- Wash and clean Beef pieces and drain well.
- In a pressure cooker heat coconut oil, add sliced garlic and fry for half a minute.
- Next add chopped ginger and fry followed by sliced Onion and Curry leaves.
- Sauté till limp and add turmeric powder, Coriander powder, Chilli Powder, Pepper powder and Garam Masala.
- Add the Beef pieces, enough salt and vinegar, combine well and pressure cook the beef till soft.
- Roast the coconut in a pan till it turns light brown, then add perumjeera, coriander, chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric and fry again till the aroma starts releasing. Grind this coarsely and keep aside.
- If there is excess water in Beef, try simmering it on full heat till you get thick gravy, enough to coat the Kappa.
- Add the mashed Kappa to the beef.
- Next, add the ground Roasted Coconut Masala to the Ellum Kappa. Keep the flame on low and combine everything well.
- Switch off the flame and keep it covered for few minutes to release flavours.
- Transfer to a serving plate, and garnish with some chopped onions.
- You may also season this with some mustard, shallots, dried chili and curry leaves fried in coconut oil. Enjoy the Kappa Biriyani while hot.
- Adjust the chilies and other spices according to your spice tolerance level.
- The middle core of the Tapioca should be removed before cutting into small pieces.
- Boil the water first, before adding Tapioca pieces. There should be enough water to cover the Kappa pieces.
- Coconut oil should be used for best flavours and taste.
- While cooking beef, do not add water, as it releases enough water.
- Cooking time required could vary according to your pressure cooker. Usually it takes 8 minutes or little more on slow flame after the first whistle. It should not be overcooked.
- Check the link for Garam Masala – “How to make Garam Masala at home” for best results.
- Coconut should be roasted to a slight brown color. Do not brown it more like in Theeyal, as it will affect the flavours.
If you like this Kappa biriyani recipe, please share with your friends using the share buttons on the side or put in your comments. I will be happy to see your comments. God Bless!!
Woww…finally i found ths recipe.hv been searching for it from a long time.i will try ths on sat n comment back…thnx a ton dear…
Thank you for your wonderful comments Divya. Happy to know that you found my recipe appealing. Please do try and I do hope you like it. Waiting for your feedback. All the very best.
I have just gone through the kappa biryani receipt and going to try it tomorrow. Hope it comes out well. Ja,
Thank you James. It is a wonderful recipe and hope it turns out well. Please do let me know. Keep visiting!
Wow! This is a super recipe.
Thank you Salim. Yes, it is absolutely delicious and a favourite recipe at home. Happy Cooking!