Kerala Chicken Curry with Thengakothu/ Nadan Chicken Curry
Kerala Chicken Curry with Thengakothu is another special and traditional recipe from our own ‘Kerala’. There are no dearth of Nadan meat recipes in Kerala. Every few kilometers, you get a different local Chicken curry either with Coconut Milk, ground or roasted coconut or thengakothu; there are endless varieties and recipes. This Chicken Curry with Thengakothu is extremely delicious and you will surely love the succulent curry with the epic spicy gravy. My latest dinner combo is this Kerala style chicken curry with Neer Dosa.
Authentic Kerala Kozhy Curry, calls for “Nadan Kozhy”; the local, tasty, chicken bred on natural diet. The taste of the chicken, crunchy Coconut strips, the flavours of spices, everything is heavenly bliss!! Kerala Chicken Curry goes well with all kind of mild breads like Appam, Idiyappam, Kallappam, Neer Dosa, Pita Bread, Pathiri, Roti and rice dishes like ghee rice or Coconut rice. This is quite easy to prepare and the outcome is extremely delicious that you will definitely fall in love with it. You should also try my other Kerala specialities like Nadan Chicken curry with Potatoes a great chicken dish for festive breakfasts, Thirummi Chicken roast, Thattukada Chicken fry, Nadan Beef curry, Tharavu Puralan, Pepper chicken, Beef pepper roast, Nadan Pork curry, Beef with raw banana, Kerala Prawns roast, Kakka Irachi roast, Red Fish curry, Tangy fish curry, Karimeen Mappas, Beef Ularthiyathu etc. Ummm… My mouth is already watering!
Kerala is blessed land with great cultural heritage. Most Kerala recipes are renowned all over the world and the cuisine boasts of a multitude range of non-vegetarian and vegetarian dishes. Coconut is a favourite ingredient and is used extensively in various forms like scraped coconut, roasted coconut, coconut milk, coconut strips etc. This Kerala chicken curry with Thengakoth is another mouth watering recipe to add to your Kerala Lunch menu. For vegetarians, try my Kadachakka Mappas with Thengakoth or Special Brinjal Masala Curry with coconut milk. Enjoy!!
Time: 25 mts
Ingredients for Kerala Chicken Curry:
|Chicken||: 1 kg|
|Big Onion||: 2 nos or 3 small|
|Green Chilly||: 2 nos.|
|Ginger Garlic paste||: 2 tbsp|
|Coconut pieces||: ½ cup|
|Curry leaves||: few|
|Coriander Powder||: 1 ½ tbsp|
|Kashmiri Chilly Powder||: 1 tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Pepper Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Garam Masala||: 2 tsp|
|Perumjeera powder/ Fennel seed Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Tomato||: 1 no.|
|Coconut oil||: as required|
|Ghee||: 1 tsp|
Watch the Video:
Step by step Method for Kerala Chicken Curry:
- Slice the onions, crush ginger and garlic, slit green chillies.
- Cut the coconut meat into small bite size strips.
- Heat a Kadai, pour little coconut oil, and fry the coconut pieces for a minute on full flame.
- Drain the coconut strips to a plate.
- Add the green chillies, curry leaves and sliced onions and sauté till transparent..
- Next, add the crushed ginger and garlic/ Ginger Garlic paste and sauté for few minutes.
- Now, add the spice powders.
- Sauté for a minute and add little water, just enough to soak the masala and stir again till it is dry.
- Again, add little water at intervals while frying the masala to release the flavours slowly.
- Once the flavours develop, add chopped tomatoes and sauté. Add little more water to cook the tomatoes (just 2 tbsp)and fry.
- Add the chicken pieces, salt and fried Thengakoth/ Coconut strips..
- Combine well with 1 cup water.
- Mix in 1 tsp ghee and combine well.
- Cover and cook till done, stirring in between.
Your Naadan chicken curry with Thengakothu is ready for serving!!
- Please adjust the spices as per your spice level.
- You can also add shallots/ Small Onions to this recipe. Slice few shallots and add it along with Onion.
- Tomatoes should be chopped in cubes.
- After adding spices, pour little water in intervals to fry the masala well and for the flavours to develop.
- If you want more gravy you can even add thengappal (Coconut milk).
- Adding ghee enhances the taste, so do not hesitate to try that.
- The aroma is important, so check how to make Garam Masala link.
Try this recipe for Kerala Chicken Curry and if you like it, please share using the buttons on the side and let me know through comments. God Bless!!