Doughnuts /Donuts/Homemade doughnuts
Doughnuts or Donuts, the perfect fried cakes covered in chocolate and colorful sprinkles, they never fail to impress you, or rather tempt you, right? So, here is my 200th recipe for you, special Homemade Doughnuts. I thank God Almighty for His abundant blessings. Feel sublime posting this recipe and humbly thank all my well-wishers and friends for encouraging and supporting me all this while.
Coming back to Doughnuts; it is fried sweet dough / cake, a perfect sweet snack, popular all over the world. It is quite simple to prepare, with not many ingredients to complicate the flavors! You can have the sweet doughnuts plain or top it with chocolate or sugar glazing and colorful sprinkles or crushed nuts and fruits for variety. The colorful doughnuts are indeed a visual delight and sinfully tempting! You can munch on those sweet treats anytime or have it as desserts.
Check out my cake recipes like Butter cake, Hot Milk Sponge cake, Orange cake, Dates and carrot cake, Dates and Banana cake, Chocolate cake, Marble cake, Vanilla cake, Egg-less Chocolate brownies, Pineapple Jam roll, Cinnamon Roll etc. Like these tea cakes, sweet donuts also make excellent accompaniment for tea or can adorn your Breakfast table. If you like savoury treats, try my Pizzas, Samosas, cutlets and other spicy snacks.
Freshly fried Donuts are indeed great and refreshing. Fried doughnuts do not absorb much oil as you think and tastes divine. Dedicating this recipe to all donut fans in my family; esp. Anandkuttan and Amlu. Go ahead and dig in!
Ingredients for Dough nuts:
|Unsalted Butter (Cooking Butter)||: 40 gms (chilled) (3tbsp)|
|Sugar||: 60 gms (1/3 cup)|
|Flour (Maida)||: 250 gms (2 cups)|
|Eggs||: 1 no.|
|Salt||: ¼ tsp|
|Baking Powder||: 2 small pinch|
|Vanilla Essence||: ½ tsp|
|Milk||: 100 ml|
Ingredients for Chocolate Glazing:
|Chocolate chips (Milk)||: ½ cup|
|Butter||: 2 tsp|
|Fresh Cream||: 2 tsp|
Ingredients for Sugar Glazing:
|Powdered Sugar||: ½ cup|
|Butter||: 1 tsp|
|Vanilla essence||: few drops (optional)|
|Water||: 2 tbsp|
- Measure all the ingredients. Sieve the flour (250 gms), Baking Powder and salt together three or four times to combine well.
- In a cup, add 1 tsp yeast and 1 tbsp sugar and pour half of the Luke warm milk, stir and keep aside for rising.
- Take the chilled butter (40 gms) and mix with the flour to form bread crumb texture.
- Mix the rest of the sugar with the remaining milk.
- Slightly beat the egg and add vanilla Essence. Pour it to the Maida mix along with fermented yeast and milk and combine well to form a soft smooth dough.
- Cover well and let it rest till double in size (around one and half hour).
- Tap the dough and roll into a sheet with ¼ inch thickness.
- Cut out rings with a doughnut cutter and keep in a dusted plate for rising again (20 minutes).
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the doughnuts on both sides till golden brown, drain and keep aside.
- Coat on one side with chocolate or sugar glazing and decorate with sprinkles.
- For chocolate glazing, melt the chocoloate chips and butter together in a bowl (double boiler method). Add cream and mix well to get thick, smooth consistency.
- For sugar glazing, mix the powdered sugar, warm water and butter together. Add two drops vanilla essence.
- Dung the doughnuts in the chocolate or sugar glazing and top with sprinkles.
- Always make sure you have the correct measurements. (It is better to have weighing scales or cake measuring cups, to get exact measures).
- Flour, baking powder and salt should be mixed well. Sieve 3 -4 times to release air bubbles.
- Luke warm milk should be used for this recipe. If the milk is too warm, the yeast will not be fermented.
- The dough should be soft, if it is too sticky, dust a little flour and mix.
Homemade Donuts is a popular recipe and an all-time hit with kids and adults. Hope you liked this recipe. Continue to encourage me by commenting below or by sharing to your friends using the links on the side. God Bless!!
Wow cheriamma.,this is so tempting
Will make for you, when you come next time.
Thank you for sharing. I’ll try this recipe out. Blessings.
Thank you for your blessings. Happy to share. Please let me know how it came out for you. God bless.
cup measurements pls…..
Savitha, I have added the cup measurements in the recipe. Please try and let me know how it came out for you.
Hi. Found your recipe interesting. Would be better if you could specify the approximate time in step 6 and 8, instead of ‘let it rest till double in size’. Will surely try it once I get the info. Thank you.
Hi Shiji, Thank you for your interest. Approximate time for rising would be one and a half hours. The dough would be double in that time. Hope this helps. Enjoy doughnuts.
Mimi I tried your doughnuts today and yes it came out to be yummy….you rock as always
Thank you Minu for your encouraging words. Happy to know it came out well. (y)
Meenami tried them today and it turned out really well. Big hit at home, so definitely going to make them again.
Thanks a bunch Anju. Very happy to know everyone liked. Really encouraging to hear from you about it. Keep visiting!