Beetroot Cutlets/ Beetroot Tikki/ Beetroot Patties
Beetroot Cutlets are a great way to make your little ones eat beetroot and boost their vitamin intake. This crispy vegetarian snack can be served as appetizers, evening snacks or even as burger patties. They are deliciously crispy on the outside and soft inside. Beetroot is very healthy, rich in vitamins and nutrients and great for your diet.
These Beetroot cutlets can be prepared in advance; then refrigerate, fry and serve hot with Tomato sauce and delight your guests. Since, lockdown is in progress, everyone is trying to buy veggies that last longer, and root vegetables are your best bet. Beetroot is not a favourite vegetable for kids at home, so I try to disguise them and pair it with something else to boost the appeal. Beef and Beetroot curry, Beetroot Carrot thoran, Beetroot Pachadi are regular beet dishes at home. I also pickle them in Vinegar (Lebanese style) to entice them!
Beetroot cutlets can also be made into big round patties to prepare burgers for the kids. Fill the burger buns with Mayo, cucumber, Tomato, onions and top them with beetroot patties and little tomato sauce to complete the burger. It is a very filling and satisfying meal for them. Guilt free indulgence!
I have coated the Beetroot cutlets with semolina since I had not much stock of breadcrumbs with me. Nevertheless, I was happy with the results as it turned out crispy outside and soft inside. If you are looking for veggie snacks for kids, check my vegetable spring rolls, Spinach Pakoras, stuffed garlic bread, Cheesy Potato croquettes, Soya Cutlets, Banana fritters, Crescent rolls, paneer fingers, Masala vada, Medhu Vada, Crispy Cones, Butter Murukku, Cinnamon rolls, cookies, tea cakes, Pineapple Jam roll etc. Kids love snacks more than meals and these snacks indeed satisfy hungry kids.Also check non-veg snacks like Chicken samosa, Chicken Burger, chicken momos, Meat roll, Chicken Popcorn, Fish Fingers, Chicken cutlets, Fish cutlets, Calamari fritters, Pizzas etc.
You can bake these beetroot cutlets or pan fry by drizzling little oil and frying both sides. Hope you will try and enjoy these beetroot cutlets.
Ingredients for beetroot cutlets:
|Beetroot||: 2 nos.|
|Potatoes||: 2 nos|
|Carrot||: 1 no.|
|Onion||: 1 ½ or 2 small|
|Green Chilly||: 4 nos|
|Curry leaves||: 3 sprigs|
|Ginger||: 1” piece|
|Kashmiri Chilli Powder||: 1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||: ½ tsp|
|Perumjeera Powder/ Fennel/ Saunf||: ½ tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||: ½ tsp|
|Chaat Masala||: ¼ tsp|
|Coriander leaves||: 1 cup (chopped)|
|CornFlour / Maida||: ½ cup|
|Breadcrumbs||: 1 cup|
|Semolina/ Sooji/ Breadcrumbs||: 1 cup (for coating)|
|Salt||: As required|
|Oil||: for frying|
- Boil the Beetroots, potatoes and carrots till soft and keep aside to cool.
- Peel the skin, mash well and set aside.
- Chop ginger, green chillies, onion and curry leaves finely in a chopper.
- Heat little oil in a pan (1 tbsp), and sauté the chopped onion mix till translucent.
- Add the spice powders- Chilli, turmeric, fennel, Garam Masala. Mix well and remove from fire.
- In a wide bowl, mix mashed beets and potatoes, Onion Masala Mix, Chopped coriander, Chaat Masala, ½ cup breadcrumbs and enough salt.
- If required, add more breadcrumbs till the cutlet mix gets firm and non-sticky.
- Shape into round patties /cutlets.
- Mix Maida/ Corn Flour with water to make a thin batter.
- Dip the Beetroot patties in this batter (you can also use beaten egg) and roll in Semolina/ Rava or Breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry both sides in a pan with little oil or deep fry till slightly brown.
Serve Beetroot cutlets hot with Tomato sauce or as burger patties.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
- Mash the beetroot, Potato and carrot with a Potato masher.
- Check the link for Garam Masala.
- Chaat Masala or Aamchoor powder can be added to the mix.
- If you feel that the mix is too soft add little breadcrumbs to make firm cutlets.
- Shape the Beetroot cutlet mix to circles or triangles as you like.
- You can shallow fry these cutlets on Tawa, or deep fry.
- For making fresh breadcrumbs, use two days old bread which makes it crispier. Just put the slices in a grinder and pulse for few seconds.
- The Maida/ Corn flour batter should be runny without any lumps. You may also use beaten egg instead of Maida batter.
- You can use breadcrumbs or Semolina for outer coating.
Hope you will enjoy these nutritious Beetroot Cutlets. Please let me know your feedback and suggestions if you like this recipe and share with your friends using the share buttons below. It would encourage me to share more yummy recipes. Thanks and God Bless!!